Gain setting on components

Participant count
  • Participant list

DoobieBrother
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ok. I've read the tutorial and done a little searching, but still haven't found the answer to a question I have. So...

I'm setting the gains on an amp for components. I have the following situation.

JBL 6 channel amp bridged to 3 channels. 2 are used for the components. The two bridged are supposed to be 160watts each. The components, Focal 165V2s, which are rated at 75watts. Note, I'm using TN52 tweets instead of the TN47's that normally come with that set. So, the tutorial says I should use the lower of the two wattages for my calculation.

Here's the question, though. Being components, and since I'm using the passive crossover, I know it divides power between the tweeter and the mid with more going to the mid. So, I'm wondering if for my calculation I should add the RMS of tweeter and driver, so like 15 for the tweet and 75 for the mid. Do the calculation using 90? I was thinking of doing it using 90-100 anyway knowing that the Focals can handle up on it pretty well and I'd still have a lot of headroom on the amp so I should be quite a ways from clipping.

Thoughts?

I would start with it set conservatively (75).

Listen for a while, maybe a few days. If you don't hear any signs of stress, and you'd like a little more volume it probably won't hurt to up it a little.

A few watts won't effect the woofer much, but tweeters are very sensitive to power and clipping - that's where damage would be most likely to occur.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.