Gain Setting Tutorial

Alright. I have set my gain on the amplifier with a 50Hz test tone, to 63V. Since most music isn't as powerful as a test tone, can I turn the head unit volume up a little more without doing any damage? Because I know whenever I had Lil Jon's "Da Blow" cranking I could only get it to reach 59.9V with the gain turned all the way up.
Another tiny question: I have a Pioneer 4900IB. It has 4V pre-outs with a subwoofer out. On the subwoofer frequency there is an option to change the subwoofer from 1-6, right beside the frequency. What is this number and what should I set it to? Thanks.
wow dude music is gonna be dynamic it might hit around 30 V-50V range it's not always gonna hit the 63V but might come close. if you turned hu volume up a notch u'd be over 63 V just keep ur hu volume where it's at when you did that song, you'll be safe;)

Does anyone know why the voltage my amp puts out changes depending on frequency? If I keep everything the same (volume, gain, everything) and say it is at 36 VAC for a 40 Hz tone, if I play a 45 or 50 Hz the voltage goes down to say 34 VAC.

Is this supposed to happen? Just FYI I am using my stock headunit with a LOC... could that be it?

Also are -3 dB tones the most accepted?

Does anyone know why the voltage my amp puts out changes depending on frequency? If I keep everything the same (volume, gain, everything) and say it is at 36 VAC for a 40 Hz tone, if I play a 45 or 50 Hz the voltage goes down to say 34 VAC.
Is this supposed to happen? Just FYI I am using my stock headunit with a LOC... could that be it?

Also are -3 dB tones the most accepted?
The stock head unit will often have an equalizer built-in that compensates for the poor frequency response of the stock speakers and, as such, it will not output a flat response ...
-3 dB tones are fine in most cases ... It means you will only reach a full clip w/ a 0 dB signal, which is very rare if you're dividing the signal up as most do ...

So if I do this and get everything set to how it sounds best, I dont need to mess with the HU internal EQ or anyother controls. or if i listen to my music using one of the EQ settings, do i need ot set my gains while im in these settings. i enjoy flipping the EQ setting back and forth for the variety of music i listen to. also once i set the gain, is there any settings in the Hu that will cause the voltage to rise, or by matching my gain that means i have now put a limit on it?

Uhh is this the first post in this thread?

Hey, I am trying to set my gains right now and I am to stupid to figure out the formula. I have a JBL 600.1 amp and 2 IDQ12 Dual 2 ohms subs. I have them hooked up to the amp in a 2 ohm load. Can you tell me the volts I am suppose to get? I know I already asked this, but I didn't write down the number. Thanks.

34.6 volts?

Is it AC or DC?

Here it is

Amplifier Setting Tutorial

Outline:

Setting up an amplifier can be a very confusing and intimidating process for newbies. I created this to help guide those people through the process in what I consider to be a simple and easy way.

Preparation:

Things you should do and will need:

1) Read the owner’s manual(s)

2) Familiarize yourself with your equipment

3) Determine the final load of your speaker(s)/sub(s)

4) A calculator

5) A digital multimeter

6) A test tone CD

7) A print-out of this guide

8) A pen or pencil

9) A notepad

Note: All tests should be done with the engine running while using the calculation methods, at least for the part where you’re measuring.

Step 1: Setting up your head unit

1) Turn off all filters (low-pass and high-pass)

2) Set your EQ settings to 0 (i.e. Bass, Treble, Mid)

3) Turn off loudness

4) If you won’t be using the head unit’s internal amp, turn it off (if possible)

Step 2: Choosing the test tones you’ll use

Tones can be found here: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164136

I’ve provided 4 different sets of tones and I’ll give a brief description of why one would use that particular set of tones.

0 dB:

Pros – No chance of clipping, very small chance of damaging equipment

Cons – Most music won’t reach 0 dB unless you’re running full range speakers, so you probably won’t get full performance

-3 dB:

Pros – Small chance of clipping with music in subs, small chance of damaging equipment, better performance than 0 dB

Cons – Small amount of clipping on peaks with some music (speakers)

-6 dB:

Pros – Better performance than -3 dB and 0 dB

Cons – User must be able to detect stress in equipment to prevent damage, moderate amount of clipping with some music (speakers), small amount of clipping with some music (subs)

-10 dB:

Not recommended for amateurs

As implied in the above descriptions, the choice of music you listen to may influence the tones you use as well. With pretty much all genres, I found that the mids had peaks above -1 dB, so I wouldn’t recommend that newbies use anything higher than -3 dB for setting the speaker amplifier. However, bass (20 Hz - 80 Hz), is a completely different story. I’ve analyzed a few dozen different songs from a variety of genres with Adobe Audition and here are some briefs descriptions.

Rap/Hip-Hop/Pop – Most of the songs in these genres had peaks in the -9 dB to -3 dB range. I recommend using 0 dB or -3 dB tones if you primarily listen to these genres.

Rock/Metal/Jazz/Classical – Most of the songs in this genre had peaks in the -12 to -6 dB range. I recommend using 0 dB, -3 dB, or -6 dB tones if you primarily listen to these genres.

After choosing the tones, download them and burn them to a CD.

Step 3: Setting up your speakers

If using the head unit’s internal amplifier:

Method 1: By ear

1) Using music you’re familiar with, turn up the volume until you begin to notice distortion or you achieve the desired volume (whichever comes first)

2) Write down the volume

3) Change music to a bass heavy track and set to repeat (if your HU has no HPF, disregard this and the following)

4) Turn on the high-pass filter and set to the highest frequency

5) Turn up the volume to the volume written in Step 2

6) Turn down the HPF frequency until you begin to notice audible distortion

7) Use the lowest HPF frequency with no distortion

8) Turn the volume down to 0 and turn off head unit

Method 2: Calculation

1) Open your owner’s manuals and find the RMS power output of your head unit’s internal amplifier and the rated RMS input for your speakers. Write down both and use the lower of the two in the next step.

2) Calculate the desired voltage using the formula: Voltage = SQRT(Power*Resistance)

3) Write down the desired voltage

4) Set the volume to 0 and turn off the head unit

5) Unhook one of the speakers

6) Attach the leads of the multimeter to the speaker wires (do not ground speaker wires or leads)

7) Set multimeter to measure AC voltage

8) Turn on the head unit

9) Adjust the balance and fade to only the speaker that is unhooked (i.e. If using front right speaker, balance to the right and fade to the front)

10) Insert the test tone CD

11) Fast forward to the 1000 Hz track and set to repeat track

12) Turn volume up until you achieve the desired voltage

13) Write down the volume

14) Turn the volume down to 0 and shut the head unit off

15) Unhook the leads from the speaker wires

16) Hook the speaker back up and remount

17) Turn the head unit back on (if your HU has no HPF, disregard this and the following)

18) Insert a bass heavy track and set to repeat

19) Turn on the high-pass filter and set to the highest frequency

20) Turn up the volume to the volume written in Step 13

21) Turn down the HPF frequency until you begin to notice audible distortion

22) Use the lowest HPF frequency with no distortion

23) Turn the volume down to 0 and turn off head unit

24) In the future, do not exceed the volume written in step 13

If using dedicated speaker amplifier:

Method 1: By ear

1) Turn the gain/sensitivity all the way down (counter-clockwise)

2) Turn head unit on

3) Insert music you’re familiar with

4) Turn volume up to maximum volume you will normally use or 80% of maximum volume

5) Turn the gain up until you reach the desired volume or you notice audible distortion

6) Turn the volume down

7) Turn the high-pass filter on. If your HU and amp both have HPFs, use the one with the most flexibility (continuously variable > selectable > fixed) (if your head unit and amplifier have no HPF, disregard this and the following)

8) Turn the HPF up to the highest frequency

9) Insert a bass heavy track and set to repeat

10) Turn the volume up to the volume written in Step 9

11) Turn down the HPF frequency until you begin to notice audible distortion

12) Use the lowest frequency with no audible distortion

13) Turn the volume down to 0 and turn off the head unit

Method 2: Calculation

1) Open your owner’s manuals and find the RMS power output of your amplifier and the rated RMS input of your speakers. Write down both and use the lower of the two in the next step.

2) Calculate the desired voltage using the formula: Voltage = SQRT(Power*Resistance)

3) Write down the desired voltage

4) Turn the gain/sensitivity all the way down (counter-clockwise)

5) Unhook all speakers from the amplifier (unhook at the amplifier, not at the speakers)

6) Insert leads of multimeter into one of the channels and tighten slightly

8) Turn head unit on

9) Insert test tone CD

10) Set track to 1000 Hz and set to repeat

11) Turn volume up to maximum volume you will normally use or 80% of maximum volume

12) Write down the volume

13) Slowly turn the gain up until you reach the desired voltage

14) Turn the volume down to 0 and turn off head unit

15) Remove multimeter leads from the amplifier

16) Hook speakers back up to the amplifier

17) Turn head unit on (if your head unit and amplifier have no HPF, disregard this and the following)

18) Turn the high-pass filter on. If your HU and amp both have HPFs, use the one with the most flexibility (continuously variable > selectable > fixed)

19) Turn the HPF up to the highest frequency

20) Insert a bass heavy track and set to repeat track

21) Turn the volume up to the volume written in Step 12

22) Turn down the HPF frequency until you begin to notice audible distortion

23) Use the lowest frequency with no audible distortion

24) Turn the volume down to 0 and turn off the head unit

25) In the future, do not exceed the volume written in Step 12

The rest

Step 4: Setting up the subwoofer(s)

Setting the gain/input sensitivity:

1) Open your owner’s manuals and find the RMS power output of your amplifier and the rated RMS input of your speakers. Write down both and use the lower of the two in the next step.

3) Write down the Sub Voltage

4) Turn the gain/sensitivity all the way down (counter-clockwise)

5) Unhook all subwoofers from the amplifier (unhook at the amplifier)

6) Insert leads of multimeter into one of the channels you’ll be using (if you’re bridging the amplifier, use the terminals you’ll be using)

8) Unhook the speakers from the speaker amplifier or turn off the amplifier’s internal amplifier

9) Turn head unit on

10) Insert test tone CD

11) Set track to 60 Hz and set to repeat track

12) Set to the volume written down in the speaker setting stage

13) Slowly turn the gain up until you obtain the desired voltage

14) Turn the volume down to 0

Setting the subsonic filter (if available):

1) Determine the tuning frequency of your enclosure (if using a sealed enclosure, turn SSF off or to minimum frequency)

2) Calculate the desired SSF frequency by using the formula: SSF = Tuning*3/4

3) If number is not whole, round to the nearest integer

4) Write the SSF frequency down

5) Calculate the desired SSF voltage by using the formula: SSF_Voltage = 0.707*Sub_Voltage

6) Write the SSF voltage down

7) Turn the SSF to the maximum frequency

8) Set track to the SSF frequency and set to repeat track

9) Set to volume written down in speaker setting stage

10) Turn down the frequency on the SSF control until you reach the SSF Voltage from step 6

11) Turn the volume down to 0

Setting the low-pass filter:

1) Turn off the head unit

2) Unhook the multimeter from the sub amp

3) Hook up the speakers and sub(s)

4) Turn the low-pass filter on. If your HU and amp both have LPFs, use the one with the most flexibility (continuously variable > selectable > fixed)

5) Turn the LPF frequency to the minimum frequency

6) Insert music you’re familiar with

7) Turn the volume up to a comfortable level

8) Turn up the LPF frequency until one of the following is true: the sub stage and speaker stage blend perfectly, you can tell the bass is coming from the rear, or the bass starts sounding weird. If the latter two, use the highest setting before audible anomaly.

9) Turn volume down to 0 and turn off head unit

Level matching:

Use your head unit controls to attenuate parts that overpower the rest of the system

How do I know what the desired voltage I want is?

Voltage = SQRT(Power*Resistance) What do I plug into that equation? The watts as power? and what about resistance ?

im hooking up two amps that are two channel each to four twelves the max output on each amp is 4000, 1650 rms my twelves max at 1000, 500 rms what number of volts am I looking for out of each channel if im installing 2 ohm amp to 2ohm subs (and is it ac or dc) to get 1000 watts instead of 1650

If I have done this right, I think I did, I got a reading of 54.6v from the old settings on my PA bb1250.1. Now correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't that be like 1500-1600w at 2Ω?

How much more could I possibly get out of my stereo with a voltmeter or oscilliscope than using test tones by ear? I just tuned my amp this way, giving myself an undistorted volume of 29 out of 35. If I'm listening for the test tone to change then notching that dial back right to where it stops, what real extra benefit will a voltmeter or an oscilliscope give me? IF the change in tone occurs when clipping begins wouldn't it be at the same point on the oscilliscope? Wouldnt a voltmeter throw your readings off from ideal settings if the amp is putting out less than or more than rated power?

I hear all the time that the measuring instruments are best but I'm interested to hear if anyone has ever tuned the same amp using all three methods to see how different the settings were each time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.