Gauge of wire for speakers?

Shugarra
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Montana
Well, I'm going to be replacing my speaker wire here pretty soon and I'm wondering what size to get? I've seen some tables for gauge of power wire but nothing for speaker wire. The wire will be run about 13-15 ft from a 180x2 amp. I've heard 16 ga is good for speakers but that seems awfully small. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

12ga will be fine...I did a quick calculation (for fun) and found that your 12ga wire (at 15ft) should have a resistance of .0238Ohms. You should only lose 1.1Watts of power at the NOMINAL impedance with a 180W power source. This does not take into account impedance dips and power levels above 180W, which will lead to more power loss.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.