General problems with Phoenix gold titanium amps

Participant count
  • Participant list

clarity413
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hey, I'm having some weird problems with both of my titanium amps.. I contacted tech support and they said they'd take them in a fix one of them.. I'm going to haveto do some more research to see if the other one is actually messed up or if it's just the install... my guess is it's the amp though. Anyways.. my problems are:

both my amps are mounted to the sub box...

ti500.4 Amp:

appears to rattle internally... I experimented with putting SS vinyl liner on the back of it then mounting it after that didn't work I put damp pro on the box and took off the plastic brackets and used fat washers no it... no matter what I do if I push in the center (and only center) very hard it'll stop rattling. Will clip if the cross over is set below 90hz at high volume... Will clip if bass boost is up at all.

ti800.1 Amp:

shut off because of thermal reasons.. when I first got it, it worked fine but after a long road trip it started to thermal shut off when I played music with constant bass (techno) I checked the temp with a term. from my first aid kit and it was shutting off at 96 degrees... now it seems to shut off a lot sooner. When I contacted PG tech support they said it won't shut off until 200 degrees and they'll repair it.

I'm not saying their amps ****. They don't distort at all at high volume. However, these are some really annoying problems. I haven't heard of anyone else having any problems with these amps what so ever though.

I bought the ti500.4 from cardomain.com and the ti800.1 at a local audio shop....

I used kicker amps before and had no problems what so ever and I have a old planet audio amp and had no problems except it didn't put out what it said it did.

thanks guys!

hope you get your problems resolved. i have owned over 40 amps in the last 2 years. 5 have been PG's. I have had 5 amps break out of the 40+. all were PG. i would never touch one of their amps again, even though the Xenon's do peak my interests. just don't like the brand at all now. have heard some real bad things about their tech support too. they definately gave me the shaft in a big way.

yah, the only thing I've heard bad about the tantrums was that they run hot... that was only like one review I read out of about 50.

naughty#9: what amps do you like best out of the ones you've used? What do you think about US Amps?

Mine don't really run hot at all...they've got onboard fans, so if they get really hot, there's something wrong.

Yah, the only reason I was concerned about heat was because I want to put a cover w/ vents on my amp compartment so people won't know I have 2k retail worth of amps in my car when I drive in town (5-20 minute drives). However, if this problem doesn't get resolved then I'm going to just leave it the ay it is.

the titaniums are supposed to stay a lot cooler than the tantrum ones. the ti500.4 runs at about 100-110 degrees when I'm running it at full power. With the bass boost and hz set at 110hz it won't clip at all. It'll actually go into overload before it clips. It's actually a really nice amp. Except I can't turn the bb on at all or the high pass thing but that doesn't matter when my subs are in.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.