GLI - bad fix or ok?

Participant count
  • Participant list

rbenz27
10+ year member

New system installed recently. Alt whine coming out of passenger tweeter started a couple days later. To fix the problem, they installed a GLI in between the amp and the RCA of the mids.

Installer mentioned that the GLI might affect my frequencies but said I probably won't notice the difference. Its the only thing they can do short of replacing the HU.

Is this a good fix? I'm thinking of replacing the RCA with higher quality brands. I have EFX rca's hooked up and they look thin and flimsy. What do you guys think?

That installer is a retard.

The problem can be fixed with a gli, sure. But that's just like putting a three inch bandaid on a eleven inch cut. Not going to work.. for very long.

Alt whine is cause by either a combination of two things or one of them. The first is high ground resistance. The point where you ground your equipment should be clean metal (chassis of the car). This is VITAL to your system being noise free. The spot should have as low of an impedence as possible.

I would suggest removing the GLI and unplugging the RCA's from the amp. Does the noise go away? If it does then you know the Head Unit has a bad ground and you need to fix that. If the noise doesn't go away, then you know it's a bad amp ground.

Of course this is all hypothetical if all of your components aren't in perfect working condition.

Lol.. The installer's a good guy and know a lot about car audio. I guess they were busy that day and didn't have time to mess around with my system. They said they plugged in a different HU and the noise went away though.

I unplugged the RCA's from the amp and the noise is gone. The other components in my system are all brand new so I'm thinking that it is a grounding issue with the HU. The HU is factory ground. The black ground wire goes into a loom with the rest of the wires and I couldn't trace where it goes without removing the entire dash lol. How should I go about fixing it?

That installer is a retard.
The problem can be fixed with a gli, sure. But that's just like putting a three inch bandaid on a eleven inch cut. Not going to work.. for very long.

Alt whine is cause by either a combination of two things or one of them. The first is high ground resistance. The point where you ground your equipment should be clean metal (chassis of the car). This is VITAL to your system being noise free. The spot should have as low of an impedence as possible.

I would suggest removing the GLI and unplugging the RCA's from the amp. Does the noise go away? If it does then you know the Head Unit has a bad ground and you need to fix that. If the noise doesn't go away, then you know it's a bad amp ground.

Of course this is all hypothetical if all of your components aren't in perfect working condition.
^^^

listen to him

Lol.. The installer's a good guy and know a lot about car audio. I guess they were busy that day and didn't have time to mess around with my system. They said they plugged in a different HU and the noise went away though.
I unplugged the RCA's from the amp and the noise is gone. The other components in my system are all brand new so I'm thinking that it is a grounding issue with the HU. The HU is factory ground. The black ground wire goes into a loom with the rest of the wires and I couldn't trace where it goes without removing the entire dash lol. How should I go about fixing it?
Just find a clean piece of metal behind the dash (something that is attached to the frame) and ground the HU there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.