Hardest hitting subwoofer? " When wired right of course!

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif
Phase plugs would be a necessity. Hell, they're almost required for the Lowther and Fostex 8" drivers lest they sound like a honking duck off-axis.

A HONKING duck huh?.

in general, smaller drivers will play the higher freq. better than larger woofers.
Because, in general, the smaller drivers are designed to play higher frequencies, while larger drivers are designed to play the lower frequencies.

I was pointing out that this was a function of the design and not a function of the cone diameter.

Because, in general, the smaller drivers are designed to play higher frequencies, while larger drivers are designed to play the lower frequencies.
...this is a function of the design and not a function of the cone diameter.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif That's right

actually it is. think about it in terms of oars and toothpicks. is it easy to swing an oar back and forth multiple times a second, versus a toothpick? better yet, try using a toothpick as an oar. how much water can you stroke with a toothpick? it just so happens that these smaller drivers are more practical OVERALL for higher freguencies. that doesn't mean that they AREN'T used for lower frequencies. the 12's in my father's jbls take 1khz like a champ all day and i know this because i removed one and made a simple setup to test out the cones for replacements. so yes, smaller drivers are inherently better for mids, not necessarily because they NEED to.

I was pointing out that this was a function of the design and not a function of the cone diameter.
Are there any 12" or 15" drivers made to play high freq. in car audio? What about 15" mid basses? I havent seen any. Your right about the design, but I would the driver size has alot to do with it.

ever seen a 15" door pod //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif ?

Its all in the design of the motor, like little cars and big cars, its the power plant driving the assembly that ultimately decides performance (handling not a factor in this comparison).

Now a manufacturer will usually want to take the easiest and cheapest route to achieve its goal so they will opt for the most reasonable cost effective design for the task at hand.

A large 12 inch driver will require a reasonably simple and inexpensive motor design to achieve good low frequency response but would require a more intricate and expensive design if the same size driver was intended for high frequency response like a domed cone for better image and dispersion and proper inductance and power handling for accurate high end reproduction. As said before, large diameter mid/high drivers exist for certain application but the drivers are very expensive.

Now take a a small 2 inch driver and the same logic holds true, its cheaper and easier to build them for high frequency use, you could build intricate designs for low frequency use with long throw suspensions, multiple cone drivers and intricate enclosure designs but again the cost is a lot higher than just using a large cone on a simple motor.

All that **** said, I always liked how Eclipse subs hit, they had that nice "hit you in the chest" effect in a small sealed enclosure.

Cheers and beers.

Are there any 12" or 15" drivers made to play high freq. in car audio? What about 15" mid basses? I havent seen any. Your right about the design, but I would the driver size has alot to do with it.
Why limit it to car audio?

Are speakers for "car audio" different than speakers for home/pro audio?

Yes, there are 12" and 15" drivers made to play high freq.. You could surely put them in your car if you wanted, which would effectively make them car audio speakers. So there ya go //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Why limit it to car audio? Are speakers for "car audio" different than speakers for home/pro audio?

Yes, there are 12" and 15" drivers made to play high freq.. You could surely put them in your car if you wanted, which would effectively make them car audio speakers. So there ya go //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
X2 my mids are ment to be home audio drivers, but they are in fact in my car.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.