HDC318 vs Xcon vs nightshade etc etc

spencer321
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
palm bay
Single hdc3 12 is loud, but i've got a crown vic with alot of open trunk, want to go bigger. Stickin with my bxi2006 amp, so guestimating 1700-1800w @ 1ohm. Torn between 2-15's or 1 18. If an 18 would be another hdc3, nightshade, xcon, or death penatly. If 2 15's sdc2.5's or if anyone else can recommend 2 15's that will take 800-900 each for less than 400$ total, be my guest

nightshade and dp r above that price range... hdc3 vs xcon then... if u want better sound go xcon...i have 2 15 hdc3s and they r great to me....best bang for your buck imo

The AQ and SSA should not be compared. The AQ is a high output driver, the SSA is a high excursion SQ driver. Both get loud, but they are meant for different goals in mind.

I have 2 SDCs in the trunk of my Marquis and am pretty happy with it. I did a 139.6 on the TL a few weeks ago so not too bad for this kind of trunk. Only reason I want to get rid of mine now is to pick up a bigger set of 15s or maybe go with 4 12s.

I have 2 SDCs in the trunk of my Marquis and am pretty happy with it. I did a 139.6 on the TL a few weeks ago so not too bad for this kind of trunk. Only reason I want to get rid of mine now is to pick up a bigger set of 15s or maybe go with 4 12s.
no offence... not breakin 140's with 1200w on 2 15's is not that inspiring

no offence... not breakin 140's with 1200w on 2 15's is not that inspiring
That's what you get when you have a trunk like in the Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and Town Car. The gas tank is located between the backseats and the deep part of the trunk, right under that "ledge". If you feel you can do better, I would very much like to see it. You can ask pretty much anyone with this vehicle about the score. I have a feeling they will tell you it's not bad. If you're chasing dB, you have the WRONG car.

Put these 15s and amp in an SUV or something and I don't doubt 140+.

One of my friends gained 8db's going from a vic to a Explorer, I think it a was an explorer, SUV for sure lol. Anyway I'd get 2 15's. One sub would work, but despite what most people seem to think 2k on a single sub is rarely a great idea. Even if they can take it thermally, any coil is well into compression at that point. Two subs on that power will be under alot less stress both thermally and mechanically, which is good for the equipment. Also if you can fit adequate port area and volume, you'll be louder with 2 over 1 in almost every case, probably every case if we include bandwidth vs SPL (one note wonders aren't daily cars lol).

Anyway how do you like the sound you have now? Do you want the same overall sound, just louder. A bit louder with alot more lows, better SQ, etc....

That's what you get when you have a trunk like in the Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and Town Car. The gas tank is located between the backseats and the deep part of the trunk, right under that "ledge". If you feel you can do better, I would very much like to see it. You can ask pretty much anyone with this vehicle about the score. I have a feeling they will tell you it's not bad. If you're chasing dB, you have the WRONG car.
Put these 15s and amp in an SUV or something and I don't doubt 140+.
that came across wrong, i wasn't aiming to be insulting, i was unaware these cars metered so bad, but im not shooting for numbers, just a loud daily driver, but i listen to rock and country too, which is why an all out SPL sub isn't what im lookin for, people can say what they want about the hdc3 being a strictly spl driver, no doubt its the loudest single 12 i've heard, but it also plays very accurately. I just want something that will play as accurately if not more so than the AQ but hopefully be somewhat significantly louder based on cone area

Crownvics are indeed hard to get loud, but with a few mods, you can easily pass 140 fairly easy with the right power, and subs. I have done so many times.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

spencer321

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
spencer321
palm bay
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date