Head units, Ipod input digital or analog?

99StangGt
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Oregon
Does anyone know for sure if the newer decks with the high speed ipod hookups, Alpine and Pioneer. Is it a digital or analog output from the Ipod? I cant seem to find any info. I hope its digital because I am sure the d/a converters in the h.u are better then Ipods.

Analog. Unless the head unit is playing the files directly from the hard drive in the iPod. There are no digital outputs on the iPod, nothing in the dock connector specification has a digital signal.

New Alpine IDA-X001 via usb with the 5th generation Ipods plays it digitally.
Thats what I heard. Just trying to figure out how it does that when the dock connector doesnt have a digital output.

And neither the manufacturers nor Apple is very clear about this important fact.. What's doing the D/A conversion, the little chip in the iPod or that expensive burr-brown setup in the head unit? I'd rather the HU.

Thats what I heard. Just trying to figure out how it does that when the dock connector doesnt have a digital output.
If it's connecting via USB then here's how I'd do it... Connect to the iPod as a simple storage device, read the index and playlist databases, then run the raw MP3 files through the processor in the deck, rather than have the iPod do it and then catch the audio out. And I'll bet that's exactly what Alpine is doing with the new decks.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

Ya its definitely the deck thats doing the converting. It sure costs enough!

On another note how much of a difference will I hear if I bought a new 5th Gen ipod that can support the digital/USB function

don't quote me on this, but I would think all recent iPods have digital out via the dock connector. think about it - how could head units with an iPod adapter display the song/artist info if the mp3 was converted to analog before reaching the HU?

One other thing to consider; HU's that have the digital connection usually won't allow you to play 'protected' iTunes tracks. Kenwood found a way around this by using a digital connection for navigation, and a separate analog connection to play the audio (via line-in).

Just a heads up, only 5th gen ipods and 1st gen nanos connect to the ida x001 via usb. All other ipods that will work with it need the special full speed cable and I doubt that is digital. Regular usb drives obviously work via the usb though. It reallly sounds even better than I thought it would.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.