Headlight dimming

Hi, im new to this forum and have a question. So, I have (2) 12" kenwood subs on a kicker dxa1000.1 amp and (4) 5x7 phoenix gold speakers on a 200w amp. I have done the big 3 with 0ga wire. I have an AGM battery and just installed a 200A alternator. But when I turn my stereo up to its "max" volume my headlights dim with the bass. I thought I've covered all the bases. Any ideas or fixes on my dimming headlights? Thanks

Easy fix is to add a second battery. I would think you would be ok with one battery with only 1000 watts have you checked your gain setting that there not turned up to high ?

Make sure you connect the output from alternator directly to positive post of battery and the case bolt to your negative post of the battery.
that's exactly how I did it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Easy fix is to add a second battery. I would think you would be ok with one battery with only 1000 watts have you checked your gain setting that there not turned up to high ?
I thought with everything I've done it would be good as well, I was shocked/disappointed that I still have the headlight dimming. I would like to add a second battery but with my single cab pickup I have absolutely no space for a battery. I could squeeze in a capacitor, even though so many people rue their existence and claim they are worthless garbage, they are just another form of battery, amplifiers have them built in internally, so I don't see how they are worthless and in my case I feel like it might be the solution to my problem.

I thought with everything I've done it would be good as well, I was shocked/disappointed that I still have the headlight dimming. I would like to add a second battery but with my single cab pickup I have absolutely no space for a battery. I could squeeze in a capacitor, even though so many people rue their existence and claim they are worthless garbage, they are just another form of battery, amplifiers have them built in internally, so I don't see how they are worthless and in my case I feel like it might be the solution to my problem.
i had a regular cab with 2 12" kickers I got for free i would never run kicker but they where free so what ever, but i had 2 800 watt amps on them and a capacitor for each amp and it did nothing. but my brother is now running a power bass 3xl Dual 1 ohm extreme 15" in a 3 cubic ft box he has it on the planet audio 2500 anarchy and we had it broke down to a half ohm and it would almost kill his car it dropped past like 9 volts and pretty much shut his lights off. so we changed it and broke it up to a 2 ohm and now with the gain all the way up and and on its "max" point the volt meter will stay around a 14 but he is running a capacitor. so idk it didn't work for me but it is working for him now i got a whole new system and just going to buy a Energie 2500 power cell from car id for $98 probably not the best thing to use but its better then dimming my lights and i have a capacitor on there as well right now and it will still hit a 9 volt. if it was me i would just buy a extra battery/power cell get one that you can mount in any direction and mount it side ways under the seat.

Get a little cap -- like this: Scosche PSC 5F20PK 0 5 Farad 500K Micro Farad Digital Stiffening Capacitor | eBay

but don't install it at the amp. Install it near the headlights. Try to find the point where the supply wire splits in two for the lights and install it there. This will CURE headlight dimming.

Nobody does this b/c it would take a little time and effort, but for a setup that seems to have an adequate electrical system -- this would be the fix.

Are you people even reading what he wrote. Max volume he is clipping it to hell. Overdriven amps will pull excessive current.
Sure - but even severe clipping from 1200w worth of amplifiers still shouldn't be a huge problem for a 200A alt.

The headlight cap would fix it.

Sure - but even severe clipping from 1200w worth of amplifiers still shouldn't be a huge problem for a 200A alt.The headlight cap would fix it.

If his headlights are dimming that means he has a problem. Covering up that problem won't fix what's going on. And yes heavy clipping could cause it. Ground could also be bad.

If his headlights are dimming that means he has a problem. Covering up that problem won't fix what's going on. And yes heavy clipping could cause it. Ground could also be bad.
I disagree. There's simply a lot of current demand over a very short period of time and the alt is unable to respond quickly enough to avoid a little voltage drop.

I don't see it as a "problem" as much as just a symptom of a high output sound system.

Ever since I got to the ~1000w rms range (~10 yrs ago) I've never had headlights that didn't dim at least a little at high volume -- with amps set to never clip.

I don't blast it all that often, and even less often at night, so I never bothered trying to correct it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.