Headunit Problems

Participant count
  • Participant list

sungwei
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
lkj
My brother and I were installing his headunit and were about to connect the remote wire. We put the power wires together and the headunit turned on as normal. Then we twisted the wires up and put some electric tape over it. After that the unit did not turn on. We tried resetting the unit and turning the car on and off but no luck. Then we tried connecting some other wires one of which appeared like it was removed from a connector. When trying this out the head unit turned on but displayed nothing on the screen. Then trying it again the headunit no longer had a response. I'm thinking we killed the headunit somehow. Any suggestions, ideas or condolences for his headunit?

Then we twisted the wires up and put some electric tape over it.
Well, for one that is the worst way in the world to hook up a headunit. Solder the wires or use quick connects or something.....don't just twist them together and electrical tape it.

Are you sure all the wires are properly connected to where they need to be??

if all of your fuses are still good and you still can't get the hu to power up, you can try connecting the hu directly to a 12v power source, car battery. you will need to connect the ignition and power wires (usually the yellow and red wires) to the positive terminal and the black to the negative terminal. be sure you have the power cable fused when doing this. if the hu still doesn't work, it may have been destroyed. if the hu does work, you may have short in your electrical system.

Ok thanks guys. Well he checked the fuses and one was blown. He replaced it and still no luck. I know it was wired shitty which I think was the reason we ran into the problems in the first place. Even so we're getting absolutely no response. I didn't think of hooking it up straight to the battery. That will be our last effort. After that it's time for a new headunit. It's not so bad. It was a basic Jenson headunit and honestly I don't think it would have done his new system justice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.