Help, JL 12" W3 wattage...

SRLMJ23
10+ year member

New York
I have one 12" JL W3, on JL's website they conflicting data on how much power you can put to the subs. On the actual page for the sub it says 600 watts is in the "red zone" however, on some other power chart on their website it says 500 watts is in the "red zone". I'm wondering can I run my sub at 500 watts...I have an Alpine MRP-500 amp...so it would be pretty much maxing out the amp but im just a little confused by JL's site.

Ya know, I honestly have no clue I bought it at my local install shop and it was in a box and everything already and never asked for the box the actual sub came in, I looked on my reciept but it doesnt say, I just bought it about 2 months ago...I would imagine it's v-3 but lets just say its v-2...I mean I doubt 500 watts is going to kill the sub but I dont want to get into the "black zone" where your warranty is void.

I'm kind of a newbie at this stuff so I'm not 100% sure what that means, I mean it's all good wiring and everything, nice install...how would I know?

I'm kind of a newbie at this stuff so I'm not 100% sure what that means, I mean it's all good wiring and everything, nice install...how would I know?
Leave the bass boost on the amp all the way down and set the gain properly. If you are unsure of how to do this either do some research on how to do it or take it to someone that knows how.

I have zero clue what OHM they are...ill see if I can look it up on the website, but AQHDC3 what should I do to recognize if I'm clipping.?

lol bro you'll be good, just fool around with the gain while adjusting the volume, you won't kill that speaker even if it is getting the full 500rms for a short amount of time...you can tell if you unscrew the sub and look at the back, it should say the ohm level. That will help you out greatly man.

well we've determined that I have the W3v3, however I dont know if I have the v3-2, v3-4, v3-8...the v3-2 is 2ohm while the other two are 4ohm.

I have zero clue what OHM they are...ill see if I can look it up on the website, but AQHDC3 what should I do to recognize if I'm clipping.?
clipping is the amp sending a less than perfect which can result in excess heat within the sub and blow the coils. Just don't turn the gains up to much and you'll be fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.