Help me choose a rear set of coaxials 6.5's.

Xenozx
10+ year member

Hey, I'm sure there are a million and 1 of these threads, but I would really like some input.

I bought a set of front components already Polk DB6501's. I also bought a pioneer amp that does 60w x 4 @ 4 ohms.

the last piece to the puzzle, is I need a set of rear coaxials. I will eventually be buying a subwoofer down the road but for a few months, I will be riding around speakers only.

I guess due to this, I wouldnt mind a pair of coaxials that can put out some decent bass. I know no 6.5 speaker is going to do it better or near a sub, but I guess the best of the best in the 6.5 under 100 bucks coaxials is what I am looking for.

here are the 4 I am currently looking at

JL Audio VR650-CXI 50w RMS

ALPINE Type-R SPR-17C Coaxial 110w rms

MB Quart DKH 116 50w rms

Polk Audio db651 Car speaker - 60w rms

I guess my biggest worry, is since I have a 60w RMS amp, will i run into issues using it to power some of the 50w RMS speakers?

i was reading a review of the MB quart's that said at 80% power after about 4 hours the speakers overheated and there was a loss of mid bass.

so if i did 60w wouldnt that be like 120% power, and couldnt that cause a loss in sound at a much faster pace, or am I looking into this too far?

How would that be beneficial? Bridged amp does 150w x 2 @ 4 ohm, which is beyond the polks specs. whats funny is I was looking on crutchfield, and looked at my amps review and there was this review:

Pioneer GM-6400F 4-channel car amplifier — 60 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com

"Great briged

Written By bigdaddyjosh, Louisiana on Friday, February 05, 2010

Had this amp installed and bridged to a pair of Polk Audio DB6501 components. Man this this provides great power. I love it so far!!! "

Not sure why you would do that tho, could you elaborate?

also, wouldnt losing the sound in the back be a problem, remove the fullness ouf sound?

you don't need rear speakers. I dont' use them. Really, the only reason to have them is for rear seat passengers. i dont' ride in the back, and I don't face the back of the arena at a concert. The sound should come from the front.

I ended up going w/ the polks for the rear as well, so polk audio front and rear. I do have people in the back quite often. I wouldnt think having sound in the back as negative. I would think having 60w RMS pumping to the fronts would give some bad ass sound regardless no? Obviously 150w would be even better lol, but I would think that would push the boundrees of the speakers, and I definately dont want to blow them. I dont think having the same speakers and going from 60w to 150 would make such a big difference in sound quality?

check out some build logs, they will have pics of how various people have applied the deadener, should find some pics of sealed doors as well, probably a how to as well, each car is a bit different, search for your (insert car here) and see what pops up.

you don't need rear speakers. I dont' use them. Really, the only reason to have them is for rear seat passengers. i dont' ride in the back, and I don't face the back of the arena at a concert. The sound should come from the front.
the only time i use rear speakers is occasionaly for fill...or 5.1 setups...sometimes with certain processors a rear is needed...i prefer a mid/full range driver ...pretty much for vocals wth no highs in the rear.....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.