Help Me Improve My Sound System (Please)

MotorMouth93

Hi everybody,

I have a 2005 Honda Civic LX with everything stock. I don't know a whole lot about car audio so if I use the wrong terms or don't make sense, I'm sorry. I would like to be able to connect my iPhone to the speakers but it isn't possible without buying an FM transmitter (ick), getting that adapter for the empty CD changer port (still not so good), or replacing the head unit completely with one with a USB connection. I like the last option best, so what I was thinking is:

Pioneer DEH-3300UB Head Unit

Kicker 100w Subwoofer Amp

Kicker C104 10" Subwoofer

I'd like to use the RMS outputs for the four main speakers and the preamp output for a subwoofer. I don't know a whole lot about car audio systems so would this work? The speakers sound really crappy when they try to produce bass sounds so would the head unit cut the bass frequencies out of the RMS outputs if set up this way? (keep in mind I don't want it to sound "good" I just want it to "not sound like crap") I'd like to keep it around $200 if possible. Thanks in advance!

Exactly! Thanks!

Also, I've heard that most people prefer 12 inch subs to 10 inch ones, for an application like this (relatively low power) would there actually be a noticeable difference?

Sub size is all preference. If your goal is a low powered setup something like a Dayton HF or HO 10" should be plenty in a small ported box.

keep in mind I don't want it to sound "good" I just want it to "not sound like crap"
Uhh...what? So you don't care if your system sounds like ****, but you don't want it to sound like ****?

There's many options for you that will sound amazing for your car. If you're going for a low powered setup, I'd be aiming for the SQ side of things.

the current set up you suggested is fine. buy a radio with either usb input, or aux in input or both. the sub woofer is fine and the amp is fine. just don't forget if your installing it your self there's a bit more to buy than just sub, amp, radio. you need an amplifier kit also, 8 gauge would be fine and cost effective. and despite what some may say the scosche audio brand amp kit from walmart will have everything you need but a battery terminal. which you can also get @ walmart.

Uhh...what? So you don't care if your system sounds like ****, but you don't want it to sound like ****?
I apologize, that was badly worded on my part, I should have said "I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on my sound system but I would like it to sound as good as it can while staying within my budget" which is about $200-$300.

That being said, what do you guys think of this:

Pioneer DEH-3300UB HU

Kicker C124 12" Sub

Boss CX1100M Amp for the sub

And I'll build my own enclosure for it.

EDIT: @grandam88, thanks for that info, I'll add that to my list. I was typing this one when you posted so I didn't see it until after I clicked submit.

Last edited by a moderator:
sundown audio 12 x2 sa

saz 1500d amp sundown

sax 100.4 amp for mids and highs

oxygen audio front and rear speakers

0 guage wire kit

kenwood 5 volt radio or alpine radio you will be happy now get your price quotes

avoid boss if at all possible. its junk.
Thanks for the heads up, I looked up Boss stuff and your right, pretty much everyone says it's crap.

Is it possible to get a decent sub amp in the 100-200 watt range for less than $150? There's a few of them on sonicelectronix.com but they are either made by Boss or reviewed poorly, I haven't been able to find any (other than this really cheap 100w Kicker amp which lacks the crossover settings that most others have) which fit my price range.

EDIT: @kev28, I only wish I could have that setup hahaha...I'm not sure I'm willing to spend quite that much on my system.

EDIT: There is a used Kicker KX200.2 amp on eBay for $55, it has two channels though...I've read about bridging an amp, could I get a higher impedance sub and just bridge the two channels?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.