Help!! New altenator!!

Originally posted by beachboy016 My alternator crapped out so I am going to be getting a new one. What is the strength I should get if i dont want my lights to dim when running speakers and subs?
get your battery checked first as it maybe damaged would just blow your new alternator when you put it in. You need to add and cap. This will lighten the load on the alternator an prolong its life

chris....i dont mean to start a big argument but how will adding a cap reduce the load on the alt....wont it become another thing for the alt to charge?

Originally posted by Goddyd4me chris....i dont mean to start a big argument but how will adding a cap reduce the load on the alt....wont it become another thing for the alt to charge?
once the cap is charged it ceases to become a load and would just serve to supply a stiff voltage to the amp and a smoother average load

i appreciate the reply....but it would still eventually need to be recharged every so often since the cap provides extra power for deep bass hits w/ the amp....im not sure how long but it would still be a load tho...this isnt really based on any facts just common sense

Originally posted by Goddyd4me i appreciate the reply....but it would still eventually need to be recharged every so often since the cap provides extra power for deep bass hits w/ the amp....im not sure how long but it would still be a load tho...this isnt really based on any facts just common sense
yup---- but as it just helped with the load before the recharge ------ it is a net benifit
supplies the amp with a stiffened voltage

supplies the alternator with a stiffened load------ by helping on the biggloads an then need recharging------- smoothing the load over time

This can be clearly seen on a graphing scope

would my normal responce to somone asking if they should get a cap or not be make sure your charging system is up to par first be a bad idea or not.....i would personally prefer to have an excess of power from my alt first...but thats jus me

Originally posted by Goddyd4me would my normal responce to somone asking if they should get a cap or not be make sure your charging system is up to par first be a bad idea or not.....i would personally prefer to have an excess of power from my alt first...but thats jus me
no---- your right------ things SHOULD be in order. Good charged battery and proper wire sizes. Good alterntor that supplies a charging voltage. yea ---- it like telling someone to add nitrous to a car that doesn't run right. It will give you more power------ just there is other things to take care of first.
I'm just stating that caps aren't loads and they WOULD help a damaged charging system-----------thing is------ if it's damaged a cap isn't the answer

cool....yea i had noticed you hadnt really been saying to much on any of the post i had stated that on......i remember we used to get into it quite a bit...heh

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.