Help with android auto please :(

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mikeno11

hello! im new to this forum, and this is my first thread so sorry if i happen to be posting this in the wrong place, but ive been looking all over trying to find a remedy to my problem so now im turning to the forums for help.

i have a newly acquired 2010 chevy malibu LTZ, with a freshly installed pioneer SPH-DA120 APPRADIO 4 double din headunit. it loooks amazing, and it works great with an exception of two headaches. one being that i used a chime retention harness, and now every time i start the car, the chimes get amplified through the door speaker and its ear splitting loud (but i have an appt with bestbuy to have that looked at on friday). and the one i cant seem to figure out for ANYTHING. ihave a google nexus 6, and ive been told multiple times this phone is compatible with android auto, and i have even seen videos of it working, but i cant get i to work at all on my head unit. now mind you my headunit is compatible with car play, mirrorlink, and appradio and theres videos of it running android auto. my problem lies when i plug the phone into the unit, the only message i get is an error on the unit reading "incompatible usb". the device ans the headunit are at the latest firmware, and as added measure, i reset the device, and tried applying the parking brake, and enabling USB debuggind, all with the same end result. im at my wits end trying to figure this out, someone help please!

it's very likely an issue with your phone being compatible with the appradio. im honestly not familiar with that headunit but ive had problems like this before with USB and it's 99% of the time a problem with the phone not recognizing the headunit. I would work with a developer over on xda-forums or whatever your preference is to figure out what the problem is.

if you have custom ROMs installed or other rooted mods it can change compatibility. if the appradio works with everything else i would look at the phone not the headunit

I jumped on XDA so maybe they can help, but I dunno. I've seen online that people have used it with this phone. Now to mention the firmware is right, and it works with all other phones so I don't know.. It's a huge headache and I sure don't feel like buying an iPhone just for carplay..

if you have any customizations for your phone that's one reason why, another would be outdated bluetooth, modem, or other different firmware.

i had problems using my note 4 through usb so i just use bluetooth but i dont have a headunit like appradio that can handle my phones screen mirroring and whatnot.

Did you pay attention to the build numbers when you saw video of the n6 working with it? It is possible that new builds broke compatibility.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Also did a bit of reading... Their are two USB plugs on the back of the radio. One is for iOS and other is android. If I read correctly android is usb 2 so that may be the issue as well.

What loses me though is models prior to this headunit work fine with android auto. I have the newest double din app radio pioneer has out right now.. And yes I checked that too. I'm indeed connected to USB 2, which is prioritized for android

It must just not be capable. All the videos I can find are using the radios HDMI with chromecast receivers. It is possible with a work around but screen casting is the only option I see. Its Motorola so I'm sure they have held onto dnla over the years. Do you have screen cast enabled. My nexus 6 runs PAC ROM so I am not sure how to tell you to find it on stock but it will be grouped with NFC tagging

The AppRadio platform of head units does not and has never supported Android Auto. If someone has made it work that's not officially supported by Pioneer and they're on their own.

Refer to the SPH-DA120 manual, page 87. Android devices need to be connected by HDMI.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.