Help with Jeep speakers

Ringwood
10+ year member

Hi guys.

I have a 1991 Jeep wrangler with blown dash speakers. They are stock and no longer function.

I have a couple of small speakers in back, so I have sound now but I'm looking for a good pair of high quality, durable speakers. I would like to have sound quality my top priority, but two things to take into consideration are the fact that they probably will get wet/splashed, and when the top is up I really have to crank the stereo.

The size of the stock ones are 4x6". I believe you can adapt some 6" round speakers to fit, but I'm sure there are plenty 4x6 speakers out there that would fit my bill.

I have seen the speakers that have the main speaker, and the small speaker on top of that. Are they any good? I don't want to try to multitask my speakers too much. What are the pros and cons of marine speakers?

Now what about having it loud? I don't want to blow brand new speakers away the first day having them. I don't know what to look for in the case of a speaker not blowing with high sounds.

Can you guys recommend a good pair of speakers? I'm not looking to cheap out here, but I don't think I can go much past $150 on the front speakers.

I am also planning on putting some meatier speakers in back. I have an amp that came with the Jeep and I was hoping I could use it for a small subwoofer or a couple larger speaker boxes than I have. If I plan on having something like that, will that affect the type of speakers I want up front?

Oh I also forgot. I have a Kenwood stereo system that is 45wx4 channels. It has the standard hard cables for the speakers, as well as the red and white audio out jacks in the back.

Thanks in advance guys.

Yeah, the S series were made for people who didnt necessarily want to put an amplifier on their system. They'll prob do you just fine.
Ok.

First of all I don't know a terrible much about stereo systems, as I'm sure you can tell.

I saw this in the catalog and I thought it was really neat:http://www.quadratec.com/products/14136_380.htm. I would make it myself (after doing a lot of research!), but it kind of got my mind going about having a nice audio system in the Jeep with a sub woofer.

It's my understanding that the amp is to just for the subwoofer, is that correct? If I was do put an amplified subwoofer in over time, would those 4x6 speakers be able to work with that?

And if there is a better place I should be asking this just let me know. And sorry if I just threw the non amplified system out of the water //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

You can run an amplifier for full range speakers, too. I had a 1990YJ with 4x6's running off of head unit power and my Diamond 12" subwoofer. The 4x6's weren't the greatest, but they were loud enough to keep up with the subwoofer. The only problem I ran into was losing all kinds of volume with the top off. I just upgraded all 4 speakers in my TJ. I'm now running a 4 channel amp for the full range speakers and another amp for my subwoofers. You're looking at about $1200 for a two amps, a subwoofer, two pairs of speakers, wiring for everything and cost of constructing a subwoofer box. It's $1200 I would seriously consider investing into your Jeep. You obviously don't have to do it all at once, but if you are going to buy speakers, you might as well plan ahead and add an amplifier for them down the road.

As far as marine speakers go, they aren't a necessity. Any speakers constructed with non-paper cones will hold up fine in most Jeeps. If you plan on wheeling in the rain with the top off or crossing rivers and submerging past the bottom of the doors, even marine speakers won't really help you out. Read up on component and coaxial speakers and multi channel amps to power them. If you can fit 5.25" or 6.5" speakers in the dash with adapter plates like a TJ, I strongly suggest it. You have more options as far as speakers go and will get a bit more volume out of a larger speaker.

I would either buy or make your own adapters to run a 5 1/4" (or preferably a 6.5) in the dash instead of the 4x6. They will give you a little more muscle to your sound and there's a much greater selection vs the 4x6.

You're looking at about $1200 for a two amps, a subwoofer, two pairs of speakers, wiring for everything and cost of constructing a subwoofer box.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif Oh crap that's certainly more than I was expecting to spend.

I have a lot of Jeep issues. Basically think about everything that goes wrong with a YJ and that's the problem mine has, which take priority. over sound.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif Oh crap that's certainly more than I was expecting to spend.
I have a lot of Jeep issues. Basically think about everything that goes wrong with a YJ and that's the problem mine has, which take priority. over sound.
Just Empty Every Pocket

you would only need 1 amp...a four channel with all four speakers hooked up to the front channels on the amp and the sub bridged on the rear....i could do everything he listed and still come out way cheaper than 1200...

you would only need 1 amp...a four channel with all four speakers hooked up to the front channels on the amp and the sub bridged on the rear....i could do everything he listed and still come out way cheaper than 1200...
Can you tell me more?

Just Empty Every Pocket
Tell me about it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

since imaging is pretty much out of the question with a wrangler look into a sound bar, get an empty one and put your own speakers in it. You can fit a truck style box behind the back seat or I have seen people lift the back seat up and inch or 2 and put some slim subs under it. I put a box in a yj a while back with 2 10s. I dont know where the other guy came up with $1200. You should be able to get a 4channel amp, a mono amp, 4 speakers, and a couple of subs for about half that.

I like the sound of that. I figure I would need an amp that is more powerful than what I have (4x100W) in order to give sufficient power to the speakers and the sub though.

since imaging is pretty much out of the question with a wrangler look into a sound bar, get an empty one and put your own speakers in it. You can fit a truck style box behind the back seat or I have seen people lift the back seat up and inch or 2 and put some slim subs under it. I put a box in a yj a while back with 2 10s. I dont know where the other guy came up with $1200. You should be able to get a 4channel amp, a mono amp, 4 speakers, and a couple of subs for about half that.
I was thinking about the sound bar idea. I was thinking of going with the box behind the rear seat, although underneath the rear seat is also a good idea.

I already have a 4 channel amp, which is currently 4x100W. Could I get by using the 4 channel with 4 speakers, and put the sub off until a later date? That would actually work out really nice right now (just got layed off).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.