Hifonics Colossus VI what modern woofers should I use?

Bill Oxidean

Sf,ca
Morning gents, I picked up the amp of my dreams, an old school Colossus VI new in box!!!

I'm an old schooler, and remember EV woofers being the hard hitters, but those days have long passed.

I want to know which woofers hit hard, have a long rang (bass travels) and are durable to withstand blasting on long trips

Hmm. I have one of those amps too. I would say go for at least 2 800 rms drivers. Maybe 1000 rms drivers if you are going to support this installation with a decent electrical system capable of sustaining a 14 volt input to the amp.

Where did you find it new in box? Wow, mines rusty. Looks like it's got some serious history of banging for years and years...

I'm an old schooler, and remember EV woofers being the hard hitters, but those days have long passed.

Wow, you are old school like me... LOL... woofers have come a serious long way since those days. In powerhandling and output for sure, maybe not SQ, but definately in power handling and output. Any of the more popular (as recommended here when people start posting) modern woofers would work fine as long as they are 800-1000rms. If you want it really loud, be sure to design a nice vented box for them. Vented > Sealed on output these days, I used to be a sealed guy till I did my first vented enclosure, granted it doesn't sound as clean, it's super loud (like 2 - 3 times on the lower bass) compared to a good sealed box.

I installed my old VI a couple weeks back for a small stereo show. The young guys loved it! Hit 144 with a sorry box and SQ subs. What is great about the old VI, VII and VIII's is they perform good all the way down to 11.5v. You can shoot 15v or more to them and they don't do any better. Regulated hard but it saved their lives in the long run.

The subs I ran were Elevation Audio Execution 15's. They are huge and rated at 1500 RMS watts. The coils got hot in just a few seconds of burps. Those old Zeds can still pump out power!

DSC_0476.jpg

My VI doesn't have that white stripe with the lettering. I think it's just printed onto the amp. If it's a sticker maybe it fell off. My amp is rusty, but does definately say Colossus VI on the end panel.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.