Volvo_S80

Ma
I'm still struggling with my install. Here's what I have

Stock head unit

Fiber Optic to factory amp

Line level from factory amp to JBL MS-8

RCA's (Knu) from MS-8 to Zed Leviathan III and to DD M2C

All Sky high power and ground

I've had a hard time the whole install but have learned quite a bit as well. I had some engine whine and a hissing noise I figured out the whine and settled with the hiss. One day I cracked and decided to find the hiss, I went straight for the MS-8 and hooked it up right to the speakers not using any of my amps so they were powered by the internal amp on the MS-8. The noise was not as loud but still there. So I sent the MS-8 in to be replaced.

After a long wait it's install time again. I hooked everything back up again do my first acoustic measurement, unplug the mic, press done....... and hisssssss once again. So I start trying to isolate the sound once again. First I unplug the RCA's from my zed and plug shorted RCA's the hiss is nearly gone but I can still hear a faint something not sure if this is from my seriously low quality shorted RCA's or something else. The noise is not loud or intrusive, when I have the car running you can't hear it. So I don't know if i'm being over sensitive or not.

I flipped back and forth between the shorted RCA's and the RCA's coming from the MS-8, the MS-8 RCA's are much louder for sure. So I took the RCA's out from there tucked in location and spread them out so they were dangling outside of the trunk, no change in the noise at all.

Next I decided to try and ground the RCA's and that was a horrible idea. It was very noisy to say the least. After that I removed the line level input to the MS-8 and still the noise was there. So I go to home depot and buy a multi meter to test the resistance between my battery and grounds I used some spare wire I had and connected it to my battery terminal and walked it over to the trunk everything tested 0.0 . So then I decided to run a power wire outside of my car to the MS-8 and zed. Still the noise remains.

The Zed with shorted RCA's creates very little noise (the least) but still noise and I'm not satisfied with it.

The MS-8 makes noise being used as the sole amp. It's quieter for sure the 2nd quietest overall

The MS-8 and zed used together creates the most noise. It does get louder when I turn the gains up, but from the about 1.4 mark down (1/2 way) it stays the same, The loudest.

This is my 2nd MS-8 and it's still noisy. What do I do next? Is it possible my car is responsible? 2008 Volvo S80 T6

The noise from the MS-8 is too loud to just deal with considering the amount of money spent. But am I being oversensitive about the Zed? it's slight but noise is noise. Any tips are appreciated.

Wire it straight off the HU not the amp
Unfortunately I can't do that because it's fiber optic coming from the factory head unit to the factory amp. I don't think it's can be an input issue because the noise still happens when I disconnect the line level input to the MS-8. I currently just have the MS-8 powering my speakers because its the least amount of noise. Now if I turn the volume on the MS-8 down to -15 the noise becomes inaudible. This is good but you can easily talk over the music when its on full blast using the Input on the MS-8. It does get louder when I switch to headunit and use my cars Aux/FM/CD. Still I'd like to find the source. This coming weekend I'm going to hook the MS-8 up to my girlfriends car and connect some speakers I have laying around to see if I still get noise. If there's any other tests that I missed let me know. At this point idk what to do.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.