Hole in Subs Surround?

Anonymous
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
I have a 15" Orion P Series and it has a small hole in the surround it looks like when the shop was mounting the drivers they caught the surround with the drill. However I listened to the sub and it sounds fine, just like the other 3, but my question is if I keep on bumping it will the hole get bigger over time and if so how will that effect the sub. If it will damage the sub to where it sounds like ass how could i fix the hole? That is if there is a possibility of the hole getting larger and making the sub sound like ass, because if it won't affect the sub and the hole won't get any bigger i won't even worry about it. Any feedback will be appreciated.

patch it with silicone? not sure if thats the name of it. but anyways i'd go back to the shop and ***** my head off, about the hole getting bigger, i think if you play it over time it will get bigger, but if you patch it properly your set //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

That shop owes you for their mistake.

That's the most amatuer mistake an installer could make.

If they won't (I wouldn't settle for "no" though - hard to dispute it's their problem!)... you can fix it with silicone adhesive. Try to get the adhesive on the crack edges of the loose "flap", and get it into position. Then smear the excess around over the damage on both sides of the surround.

That's actually how professional speaker repair shops fix punctures in surrounds, it lasts very well (cough.. not that I've ever done this or anything... cough).

clear fingernail polish? Will the clear silicone household glue work?
Yes, but as mentioned, you should try to get your money back/replacement. It will never be "permanently repaired" now. Even silicone adhesive will lose its contact on the surround over time. been there, done that...

So pretty much any clear, strong adhesive. If silicone do i need to get the caulk type stuff or the straight silicone? Also this is a rubber surround so would rubber cement hold up? I was also hearing about gorilla glue and CA glue. Which would be best for a screwdriver size hole in my subs rubber surround

I can't post topics... Whats going on?

Can someone post this topic for me? Or just answer the question here?

Subject line: "My amp blew a fuse, then the impedance of my subs magically dropped. Please Help!"

Topic body:

Ok, so this is what happened.

I'm riding along, I get mad at my girlfriend, so to tune her out, I set the bass level to max, and crank the HU to 80% to tune her out, subs are hitting hard and then a few minutes later the subs turn off, I figure the amp went into protection, I figure wrong, it never comes back on, I drop the girlfriend off and inspect...

The amp blew a fuse, so I just replace it, turn the music on, the fuse blows a few seconds later, I figure there's another problem, so I pull out the multimeter, and the impedance of the subs is now 2.6 ohm's as opposed to the 3.8 ohm's it was initially installed with. I figure a wire came loose or something, but nope, nothing is loose, but I still took everything apart and checked the impedance of the individual voice coils, and they all read out about 3.6 ohms. I hook it back up, made sure everything was secure, and I check the overall impedance, and I still get, 2.6 ohms. The subs seem to be fine, I had no magic smoke or smell, and the cones move fine, so I don't believe anything has blown, plus the voice coils are reading out right.

What's going on?

I can't post topics... Whats going on?
Can someone post this topic for me? Or just answer the question here?

Subject line: "My amp blew a fuse, then the impedance of my subs magically dropped. Please Help!"

Topic body:

Ok, so this is what happened.

I'm riding along, I get mad at my girlfriend, so to tune her out, I set the bass level to max, and crank the HU to 80% to tune her out, subs are hitting hard and then a few minutes later the subs turn off, I figure the amp went into protection, I figure wrong, it never comes back on, I drop the girlfriend off and inspect...

The amp blew a fuse, so I just replace it, turn the music on, the fuse blows a few seconds later, I figure there's another problem, so I pull out the multimeter, and the impedance of the subs is now 2.6 ohm's as opposed to the 3.8 ohm's it was initially installed with. I figure a wire came loose or something, but nope, nothing is loose, but I still took everything apart and checked the impedance of the individual voice coils, and they all read out about 3.6 ohms. I hook it back up, made sure everything was secure, and I check the overall impedance, and I still get, 2.6 ohms. The subs seem to be fine, I had no magic smoke or smell, and the cones move fine, so I don't believe anything has blown, plus the voice coils are reading out right.

What's going on?
i think they means they are bridged too low? someone, correct me if i am wrong.. i had that problem before, i had them running in parallel.. and i switched them to series and i was fine.

i think they means they are bridged too low? someone, correct me if i am wrong.. i had that problem before, i had them running in parallel.. and i switched them to series and i was fine.
Nope, they're wired in series, and used to produce a 4 ohm load, now it's a nice and wonderful 2.6 ohms. I think a parallel wiring would produce a 1 ohm load overall. I'm screwed.

You can post a topic just don't know how //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Anonymous use Silicone I in the paint section @ home depot. It's in a caulk tube. It has a picture of a window on the front.

Or go to autozone and get the black silicone in the small tube...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.