How do you find the cuft of a fiberglass enclosure

1ndatrunk
10+ year member

Can I live?
Close
I want to try my hand at a ported fiberglass enclosure, but the shape I want to do is nowhere near square enough to even guess at the cuft, so tuning would be hard to calculate. Whats the best wat to determine what my interior size is?

I used a 12x12x12, 6x6x6 and 3x3x3 boxes, covered the inside of mt box with plastic and used sand to get the most accurate measurement. Packing peanuts and stuff like that can fluctuate quite a bit.

You can just use a 1cu.ft box and packing peanuts but that is not very accurate at all IMO. I used 3 different sizes so I didn't have to just "guess" how much of the last 1cu.ft. didn't fit in there. Did as much with the 12x12x12 as I could, then the 6x6x6 and then the little guy.

I want to try and make it a certain size before I build it. I really don't want to keep making enclosures until I get the right size. Maybe thats the only way though

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/imwithstupid.gif.ff72b14418b3c35ebdf1ccd38da21695.gif
Why was that stupid? I never said I've done it, or that it's even the correct way, I was just sharing what I've read on here in the past. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif

I want to try and make it a certain size before I build it. I really don't want to keep making enclosures until I get the right size. Maybe thats the only way though
just making a square box or what? in my case I was using the spare tire well so once I built the box and got the measurments that is what determined what subwoofer I used. It was almost impossible to measure the tire well itself, which is why I did it the way I did...

either way if you want to be at all accurate I would not use packing peanuts... If you are just trying to get close then it might not be too bad but if you are porting it than being as accurate as possible is a good thing!

Why was that stupid? I never said I've done it, or that it's even the correct way, I was just sharing what I've read on here in the past. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif
I think he was agreeing with you

It ***** trying to figure out airspace in these. I have heard of people using sand, peanuts will get you close, Just hard to get them to really fill all the corners. Buld ur box a little bigger and you can backfill till you get the AS right.

I was gonna glass as much of the trunk as possible, and hope to get it close to 5.5cuft, but I'm not sure that the shape I wanna go with will be around that size or not. Then there is the tuning of the port

Fill it up with water if its full fiberglass with no MDF walls, would be precise

Ive done packing peanuts, but that costs $10 for a bag, gets you very close

Dont just wing it and hope you get the right size, do some measurements and calcs to see approx heights and such to get your 5.5 volume, and try and recreate it when you glass

lol, strange but possibly very good suggestion
sand... I am telling you... it is cheap or free and works the best... took my box to the park across the street, measured/filled it and I was done. free and no mess to clean up or get rid of.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.