How hard is it to install a car alarm?

Yup, already got the wiring colors. Just gotta learn how to make a relay to pop the trunk and take the plunge haha.
That website has far more than just vehicle wiring diagrams. For example it has a few dozen relay wiring diagrams...

You don't necessarily need to solder. You can use t-taps if used PROPERLY, this includes stress relief on harnesses so they never get pulled off, and recognizing when a wire is too thick to use a T-Tap (in this case you could cut some of the shielding off but again, experience helps)
You could probably do this car without the trunk or, add a relay later. the door lock wires are in either kick. Let me know if you need a schem if you're going to try it anyways, give me your email and its yours
West Palm Beach? I used to live there. Miss it greatly.

That website has far more than just vehicle wiring diagrams. For example it has a few dozen relay wiring diagrams...
This. If you can do head light relays, these are the same thing. Between the12volt.com and bcae1.com, if you can't figure it out, you need to stay away lol. Do you have a DMM? With a basic understanding on 12V electronics and knowledge of how to use your tools properly you should have no issues. Perhaps I've used them wrong, but I'm not a fan of t-taps. I much prefer solder. T-taps, in my instances, rarely worked out as planned. They either didn't go all the way through the insulation (thin insulation) or cut completely through the wire, which I try to avoid. Perhaps I just had low quality taps that didn't worked as designed, but solder is basically full-proof for me.

Perhaps I've used them wrong, but I'm not a fan of t-taps. I much prefer solder. T-taps, in my instances, rarely worked out as planned. They either didn't go all the way through the insulation (thin insulation) or cut completely through the wire, which I try to avoid. Perhaps I just had low quality taps that didn't worked as designed, but solder is basically full-proof for me.
You had to have used them wrong or more than likely, used the wrong tool to apply them. I've installed (with no exaggeration) thousands of remote starters and alarms, all with T taps, with a less than 5% come back (if I had to guess) due to a T tap issue.

You had to have used them wrong or more than likely, used the wrong tool to apply them. I've installed (with no exaggeration) thousands of remote starters and alarms, all with T taps, with a less than 5% come back (if I had to guess) due to a T tap issue.
Very possible. I only tried using them twice and with those poor results I moved on to solder and never looked back. If your results have been that good, I'm sure if I had tried them a few more times my results would have improved. I can't say I've installed thousands, or even close to a 100, but of all cars I've done with solder, 0% have come back do to anything wiring related (other than a loose hood pin)//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

There's 2 things I leave to the pro's, it's alarm's and tint.
Eh. While my tint was done professionally because I **** at anything with compound curves. Tinting, or trying to tint probably isn't going to damage a vehicle. May damage a vehicles appearance but won't compromise it's integrity. Worst case is ugly car or lots of lost wasted money. Remote start/alarm...I definitely say leave it to the pros or at least someone with some level of experience (I certainly don't consider myself a pro). My first RS/alarm project turned into a 3 days project and I'm lucky I didn't damage my electrical system. I didn't touch one for about a year after that. Just conversed with other installers and picked their minds and by the time I tried a new one, I was well prepared.

daboy,

Im sure if you were properly taught, you wouldve found that they're fine...working in a busy shop, its unfortunate that speed is looked at equally as important as quality install (they're in biz to make money obviously), and it doesnt get faster than taps. poke and wrap with solder is def the best 0 risk option though, you're right.

daboy,
Im sure if you were properly taught, you wouldve found that they're fine...working in a busy shop, its unfortunate that speed is looked at equally as important as quality install (they're in biz to make money obviously), and it doesnt get faster than taps. poke and wrap with solder is def the best 0 risk option though, you're right.
I think that is the key word.

About to order the Viper 3303, glass break sensor, and backup siren/battery. What do you guys think?

images

Guess I know what I'm doing with my next paycheck I guess.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.