how many channel amp to run a 3-way component set? noob question

Participant count
  • Participant list

murkr
10+ year member

fl
Hey guys, i want to run a 3-way component set for my front door speakers and in the rear i plan to run some coaxial speakers, would my 4-channel amp have enough channels for this? or do i need an amp with more channels?

I have a kicker zx850.4

Hey guys, i want to run a 3-way component set for my front door speakers and in the rear i plan to run some coaxial speakers, would my 4-channel amp have enough channels for this? or do i need an amp with more channels?
I have a kicker zx850.4
There are several companies that make 3 way componets ...I have a set of MB Quarts ...a 4ch amp would work...but I recommend at least 6 chs .. because most 3way components are big amp able meaning they are setup for two amps ...I'd recommend 50x4 for front smaller speakers and rear and about 100x2 for your front mid bass in your 3 way set

There are several companies that make 3 way componets ...I have a set of MB Quarts ...a 4ch amp would work...but I recommend at least 6 chs .. because most 3way components are big amp able meaning they are setup for two amps ...I'd recommend 50x4 for front smaller speakers and rear and about 100x2 for your front mid bass in your 3 way set
well, i dont want to get another amp so should i just go with a 2-way component set then?

i was looking at these

http://store.12velectronics.com/clarus-c61-2-2-way-speaker-system/

Yes, you can use your 4-channel amp. Run the 3-way components with 2 channels. What vehicle do you have?
infiniti g37 sedan. would this not sound as good as a 6-channel amp though? because i looking to have a really nice setup, i decided i want to go Active, i going to get a MS-8 DPS but im still deciding if i should go 2-way component or 3-day component.

infiniti g37 sedan. would this not sound as good as a 6-channel amp though? because i looking to have a really nice setup, i decided i want to go Active, i going to get a MS-8 DPS but im still deciding if i should go 2-way component or 3-day component.
I've done 3-way fronts and rear coaxials with MS-8 and a 6-channel amplifier. You will need to run the mids and tweeters on passive crossovers if you want to keep the rear speakers. Installing speakers in these cars is a bit of a task if you want to keep the stock appearance with a 3-way set. It can be done.

I've done 3-way fronts and rear coaxials with MS-8 and a 6-channel amplifier. You will need to run the mids and tweeters on passive crossovers if you want to keep the rear speakers. Installing speakers in these cars is a bit of a task if you want to keep the stock appearance with a 3-way set. It can be done.
if i go with just a 2-way setup should i put the tweeters where my current mids are? becasuse that small top area that my current tweeters are in seem pretty small, im going to get some Hybrid Audio Legatia L1 Pro R2 Tweeters

if i go with just a 2-way setup should i put the tweeters where my current mids are? becasuse that small top area that my current tweeters are in seem pretty small, im going to get some Hybrid Audio Legatia L1 Pro R2 Tweeters
2-ways can sound great, 3-ways can sound even better. Hire a shop to do this job unless you're a veteran installer who's been in a car like this before. If you need help locating a professional in your area I can help.

What part of FL are you in? I know a few shops depending where you are.

If you want to truly run active, every speaker needs its own channel (unless you're running duplicate speakers right next to eachother. i.e. two 6.5's next to each other).

You might be better off with a 4 channel amp and a 3 way component set with a passive crossover as has been said

if you have the room and the money, buy a $100-150 small class a/b that puts out about 50w rms per channel and it'll be perfect for your tweeters - that's how I have mine set up.

2-ways can sound great, 3-ways can sound even better. Hire a shop to do this job unless you're a veteran installer who's been in a car like this before. If you need help locating a professional in your area I can help.
thanks, but i actually found a HAT authorized dealer near by, so i plan to have them do the install.

What part of FL are you in? I know a few shops depending where you are.
If you want to truly run active, every speaker needs its own channel (unless you're running duplicate speakers right next to eachother. i.e. two 6.5's next to each other).

You might be better off with a 4 channel amp and a 3 way component set with a passive crossover as has been said

if you have the room and the money, buy a $100-150 small class a/b that puts out about 50w rms per channel and it'll be perfect for your tweeters - that's how I have mine set up.
really? i think id be better off getting a high quality 2-way, then using my 4 channel ran to run them active

Im in Port Richey FL BTW

really? i think id be better off getting a high quality 2-way, then using my 4 channel ran to run them active

Im in Port Richey FL BTW
active will be a lot louder and clearer if done properly with the correct BPF, gain setting, time alignment and other processing taken care of. if you dont want to get that extensive but still want good sound a 2 way set up will suit you just fine.

port richey is a little further north than i know anyone at, ive heard of a guy in tampa but if you've already found a good installer id take it up with them.

active will be a lot louder and clearer if done properly with the correct BPF, gain setting, time alignment and other processing taken care of. if you dont want to get that extensive but still want good sound a 2 way set up will suit you just fine.
port richey is a little further north than i know anyone at, ive heard of a guy in tampa but if you've already found a good installer id take it up with them.
yeah im going close to tampa. was going to go here

OTS Mobile Audio - Your Oldsmar, FL Audio Experts

looks like it has plenty of good reviews, which is honestly kinda rare for local shops so they must be doing something right. no complaints in the BBB and yelp also has good reviews, so you look to be on the right track.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.