How much stronger/harder does ~1000-1200 watts hit compared to 500-600?

Dave88LX
10+ year member

I'm sure it sounds like a stupid question, but here goes. I haven't personally been in vehicles with much more than 300-400 watts, if that, powering the sub(s).

I'm asking this question in terms of quality components, not Best Buy items.

How much "harder" or better sounding will a single ported 12" sound that is rated for and fed 1000-1200w RMS compare to one which is rated for/fed ~500-600w RMS?

What I'm trying to get at is if there is much return in sound from the extra money on the extra wattage on a single driver. I assume that the sound/watt isn't linear.

Thank you.

go to a car show..
Not really going to work.

The issues with trying to figure how loud you can/will be with a different setup is just like looking at a pair of dice and trying to figure out what you will roll. While we all can guess until our faces turn blue we, and may even be dead on, we still won't know till you try it.

With that said, doubling the power will normally yield a decent increase in output. However, there are a ton of factors that play a role in that and each application is completely different.

From a pure power perspective, there is only a slight increase in output. But it's the sub itself along with the extra power that increases the output. Larger magnet(s), larger coil, more xmax, and all the specs and parts change when going to a beefier sub. A quality sub rated @ 1000wrms will definitely be worth the extra $$ over a cheaper 500w sub. The enclosure will also play a role in output. Too many factors to substantiate a solid answer.

Going from a Fosgate P3 to say, an IDMAX is a world's of difference on rated power in a good enclosure in my experience.

Not really going to work.
The issues with trying to figure how loud you can/will be with a different setup is just like looking at a pair of dice and trying to figure out what you will roll. While we all can guess until our faces turn blue we, and may even be dead on, we still won't know till you try it.

With that said, doubling the power will normally yield a decent increase in output. However, there are a ton of factors that play a role in that and each application is completely different.
Haven't gotten the chance to get back with you yet for my box. Was out of town last week, hurricane this week, trying to catch a break! Based on my quick calculation, it looks like I have ~4.5 ft^2 of internal space to play with though.

I know there are a ton of variables that we'd need to address with concrete exact measurements, but based on my preliminary measurements, I will certainly have enough space to do a single ported 12", and possibly maybe (I don't know) enough for two ported 12" depending on the sub (~4.5 ft^2 based on my measurements/calculations). This of course is something that you would know and have experience with way better than I.

For example, based off manufacturer listed "optimal" space, a DC Level 2/3/4 only wants 1.5 ft^2 ported. An SSA GCON wants ~2.5-3 ft^2, ICON 2.25 ft^2, XCON 2.5-2.75 Ft^2. Sundown SA-12 wants about 1.75 Ft^2. (Again, your experience may show otherwise!)

Its a ft^3 not ^2 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

Can you fill me in? I only understand the math guideline which says that you get a 3dB increase in sound for every time you double the power. (At least how I understood it).
That is what some claim, however, that is nothing you should go by. There are far to many variables that will dictate the exact kind of response you get from doubling power.

**** me running. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/hilarious.gif.02a037aad04aa96f19982b298a3d70a8.gif I should know better even though I typed it so many **** times. I have ^2 in my head from all the landscaping I've been doing lately LOL.

No worries, shoot me an email with some dims and we can see what we can work out for you. May be able to squeeze a pair of 12s, just have to see how everything lines up and what subs you are thinking of running.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.