How much wattage can I REALISTICALLY push 2 Kicker L5 12s at?

Now we all know that we shouldn't overpower our speakers, but I want to know how much power these little bastards can take. They're rated at 600 RMS each, but I've seen videos of people pushing double their rated wattage. How much can they really take? This is of course at a non clipping volume, I know better. Personal experience is best but if you actually know what the hell you're talking about, drop me some knowledge dudes.

Now we all know that we shouldn't overpower our speakers, but I want to know how much power these little bastards can take. They're rated at 600 RMS each, but I've seen videos of people pushing double their rated wattage. How much can they really take? This is of course at a non clipping volume, I know better. Personal experience is best but if you actually know what the hell you're talking about, drop me some knowledge dudes.
Those kickers do not handle power well at all ..i wouldnt give a pair much over 1500 for long

Lol I listen to EDM mostly so its a lot of pounding, not continuous test tones lol. I've a got a nice Memphis Audio Ported Box so I think that can handle then well.
Most prefab boxes are junk..and those kickers need a ton of airspace..somewhere around 5-5.5 cubes

Last edited by a moderator:
The big box has nothing to do with preserving the sub. Technically - a big, low tuned box will maximize xmax and would actually increase the odds of damage if pushed hard at high volume. That's one of many reasons pre-fabs tend to be on the small side and tuned high -- helps decrease the odds of damaged/returned subs.

The big box has nothing to do with preserving the sub. Technically - a big, low tuned box will maximize xmax and would actually increase the odds of damage if pushed hard at high volume. That's one of many reasons pre-fabs tend to be on the small side and tuned high -- helps decrease the odds of damaged/returned subs.
I suspect those L5s will get into thermal failure well before mechanical failure even in a a large airspace.

Prefabs are small because that's cheaper and people who don't know any better are more concerned with trying to cram a lot of cone area into their car than actually using the appropriate box for their woofers.

Prefabs are small because that's cheaper and people who don't know any better are more concerned with trying to cram a lot of cone area into their car than actually using the appropriate box for their woofers.
Sure. Another on of the "many".

Most people saying "on 2k" are not seeing close to 2k.. They just have them on a 2k amp. After impedance rise they will be no where near 2k.

So many people do this **** and its annoying. Clamped wattage numbers make people very upset 90% of the time. Just like metering… lol

Most people saying "on 2k" are not seeing close to 2k.. They just have them on a 2k amp. After impedance rise they will be no where near 2k.
So many people do this **** and its annoying. Clamped wattage numbers make people very upset 90% of the time. Just like metering… lol
So what's the largest amp I can run in your opinion?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.