how to remove head unit????

$IMMON$
10+ year member

hello, I would like to install a sub and amp myself into my 2005 kia rio RX-V...i have NO idea how to access the wired in the back of the cd player to hook it up. I see 1 screw inside the cigarette lighter but thats all i can see right now...do i need to take aprt my dashboard? any help would be great if anyone knows!

also when wiring to my battery what is the best way to get into the car...i know where a wire passes thru the firwall right now, i tink its my ignition power...do i follow this wire thru? and where will it come out for me to find? or is there a better way to route it and pull it out by the pedals?

thanks in advance!!!

your dash most likely has to come apart. it usually just snaps in and should only require alittle pulling to get it apart.

B0001LRUII.01-ARCQ0EBO8TR73._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

your dash most likely has to come apart. it usually just snaps in and should only require alittle pulling to get it apart.
not so much the entire dash... just the trim panels. Look around for screws, and if you cant find any, start tugging gently under the trim. If it doesnt come off with a bit of tug, look for a screw in the area where its resisting.

hey thanks for the tip..i am currently using my stock deck for now and will upgrade later..so i have a question for you...i have been told i will wire my amp to my back speakers instead in order to get the amp goin, which will sacrifice some performance until i buy my deck and get the RCA cables in place. does this sounda accurate to you?

also, what is a good way to route through my firewall, i do not feel extremely confident to drill through it, and ive been quoted around $200 for an installation(thats with me supplying all wires,amp,sub,box,etc) so i am confident enough to hook up my speakers to the amp and wire the sub, and run the power cord under carpets and attatch to battery..but i dont want to drill...lol

what is the best way around this? and do i still wire the "remote turn-on" cable from the deck to the amp?

thanks alot for your help!

you might want to wait until you get your new deck until you start doing any installation. WIthout it, you need a line out converter and some patience to figure out which wires are which. WIth an aftermarket HU, all the wires will be nicely labeled and you wont need a LOC.

Open your engine bay, and look around for rubber grommets in the firewall. Pop it out, and run your wires through there. If you dont have any spare grommets, run it alongside another hole if possible.

you mean drill one beside? or run the wire thru aloneside another wire thats there? and will it be too tight of a squeeze? and is it common for there to be spare grommets? and why would there be?

sorry for all the questions, as u know im new to it

theres usually at least one spare grommet in a firewall so that the owner of the car can add electronics //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

and I meant run it alongside a wire through an existing hole if you dont have a spare one.

great thanks for the help you guys are awesome!...

where is usually the best spot to find a grommet for amp wiring? i can see where the ignition wire goes through but i think that would be very hard to locate the power wire once i run it through... will i have any luck searching from the inside of the car if i cant see lower on the firewall? also would it be a tight squeeze to fit 2 wires? should i be thinkin about finess or forcing it through...also do i need any piping over the wire to protect it inside the hood of the car before it runs thru the firewall?

and im heading out probly tomorrow to buy my wiring kit...should i be looking at 8 guage? im using a 195W RMS amp on my sub

thanks again!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.