how to tell if voice coil is blown?

Participant count
  • Participant list

dcornelius08

ok so i know this was a bad idea but i bought a subwoofer off of CL and it was dirt cheap so i assume there is something wrong with it. i hooked it up and everything was gravy, then after i listened to it for like 45 minutes certain notes started sounding idk how to put it, just different. mainly one song in specific. if any of you have heard this song box chevy by yelawolf. its the notes that are before the big boomy bass lines. i think it might be a voice coil because the boomy notes sound fine but the others just sound distorted like something is rattling. i thought it was something in my trunk but it turns out it has to be the subwoofer.

how can i be sure of this?

oh crap one more question, its a dual voice coil. so is it possible to wire just one to make it work just enough to tide me over til i get another?

sounds very plausible thats what happened. because half of the notes sound fine but certain ones just sound like sh** haha. is it possible to just wire the one voice coil that is good?

Could be something mechanical that has come unglued and is flapping. IMO a former that has outgassed would rub all the time, and this can be fixed sometimes by prying off the dustcap and pushing in some very stiff shims on the side with the bubble.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.