I blew my JL AUDIO W6V3- What should I replace it with?

Participant count
  • Participant list

mrpep

CarAudio.com Elite
chicago
Im not going to replace it , it is a very good sounding speaker with excellent quality but it is too delicate. I have never blown a woofer before and am surprised that this thing blew. I have an ALPINE MRX-M100 watt monoblock amp and that is 1000 watts rms @ 2 ohm

Alpine MRX-M100 Mono subwoofer amplifier — 1,000 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com

so i plan on keeping the box since it so nicely built and just replacing the woofer. I dont want to go to kicker or Alpine although I will say that ive had cheap CVR kickers and could not blow them and here I BLOW A jl AUDIO that is 4 times more expensive. So what do you guys recommend? I need about 1000 rms and a 10'' unless there is a 12 out here with a box that is a steal. Thank in advance.

Im not going to replace it , it is a very good sounding speaker with excellent quality but it is too delicate. I have never blown a woofer before and am surprised that this thing blew. I have an ALPINE MRX-M100 watt monoblock amp and that is 1000 watts rms @ 2 ohm
Alpine MRX-M100 Mono subwoofer amplifier — 1,000 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com

so i plan on keeping the box since it so nicely built and just replacing the woofer. I dont want to go to kicker or Alpine although I will say that ive had cheap CVR kickers and could not blow them and here I BLOW A jl AUDIO that is 4 times more expensive. So what do you guys recommend? I need about 1000 rms and a 10'' unless there is a 12 out here with a box that is a steal. Thank in advance.
budget?

about 300$ would be nice.. 2 ohm x 10'' about 1000 watt rms would be ideal and I just hope it sounds similar to my JL , that was such a clean sounding woofer.

sweet! I will be on this asap! thank for helping me out during this difficult time... I loved that 10'' sub , lol

sweet! I will be on this asap! thank for helping me out during this difficult time... I loved that 10'' sub , lol
you could order a recone kit and fix it up. Or have it built into a custom sub if you know anyone local that does it.

For the sub recommended, you'll need to get a D1 and wire it in series. The enclosure recommended specs also work fine with your jl box.

I am actually looking for a recone kit too because I do love the sound of the JL and I dont want to spend the 300 but the woofer you sent me looks pretty hard core too. I just need those rich lows that I get from the JL , Ive had 10s in the past and they are normally hard hitters not rich deep like this 10. Decisions Decisions....

I paid too much for this box and it is very nice looking and takes up very little room. I built boxes and they are a bit of a pain in the *** and they don't look as good as a professionally built box looks. Believe me I would love a 12 or even a 15 but for now I think I will stick to this. It truly sounds amazing to me and it really is good for now. Another thing, I have a stroller and fold up chairs and things in the back since it is a family van and Im always hauling the fam around to sports or wherever . I get it though....

****! So I went out to mess with sub and I couldn't believe what I found. I keep the box face up so I can have more trunk space and someone ( most likely the wife) had the handles from the strollers digging into the woofer foam or polyurethane. Anyway, that made my sound crack like crazy even at low volume. Good thing as soon as I noticed it I didn't turn it back up. I just ordered a cover for the woofer and now its time to lecture the wife on how she almost messed up my sounds. Thanks for taking the time out to assist me Jeff, you're a big part of this forum and your input is always good.

****! So I went out to mess with sub and I couldn't believe what I found. I keep the box face up so I can have more trunk space and someone ( most likely the wife) had the handles from the strollers digging into the woofer foam or polyurethane. Anyway, that made my sound crack like crazy even at low volume. Good thing as soon as I noticed it I didn't turn it back up. I just ordered a cover for the woofer and now its time to lecture the wife on how she almost messed up my sounds. Thanks for taking the time out to assist me Jeff, you're a big part of this forum and your input is always good.

Thats a quick cheap fix, definitely the best choice to make. Next time before you think you blow a woofer, check to see if the cone is moving or locked up, if it made any smell, bad tinsel leads or the glue separating from the former. You can't just assume without proper evidence.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.