I screwed up...any chance of fixing it? Camera install

MiniflexAlex
10+ year member

Leon, MX
Hello,

I did install a rear view camera last night in my VW Passat.

Part of the job was to run the camera wire incl the plug thru the rubber/plastic tubing from the trunk lid into the cabin.

Well, this tubing is very small in diameter and there is already a pretty big wire in there....so I tried to cramp the camera wire thru...unfortunately I broke 2 wires during this process and I still did not get it thru.....

So I thought, it's broke anyways, I just cut of the plug (which is the reason why it wont fit thru the tube), pull it thru the tube and solder it back together once the cable is in place.

To my surprise 'after cutting the cable' there are only two individual wires (1x yellow, 1x red) and a bunch of strands.....the end of the plug however, has 5 individual wires coming out of the cable (2x red, 1x yellow, 1x brown, 1x black)//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif.

So how is that suppose to work, how should I make up the second red cable, the brown cable an the black cable....The plug is a 3pin plug

I really trying to salvage the cable as I dont want to spend another $$$ on this system and I also have my doubts that I even get the cable without buying another camera.

BTW. It is a Pioneer camera, ND-BC5.

I'm extremely desperate right now, so your help is much appreciated.

Alex

Here are pictures of the screw up.

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

thats what I thought //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

This is something I would call the manufacturer for to be honest.
My experience with Pioneer tech support is not as good....I prolly end up in a waiting loop for 30 minutes just to talk to someone without any knowledge and he will advice me to buy another unit...

that plug looks warped. i'd rather get a new one.
Yes, the plug is in bad shape....is this a standart plug which can be bought everywhere or is it a special PIONEER design?

Now you know to take notes on things before you start cutting
?How should I take notes of something hidden underneath insulation?

I just cut open the spliced area which was covered with shrink tube, it seems like that the additional read wire and the brown wire we not connected to anything...the loose strands of wire are connected to the black wire....so I guess it now should be an easy fix....

Anyone would know where I can buy one of these plugs?

Thanks

Alex

Do you have an link? could not find anything. I did find a company in China who sells the plugs but I'd rather buy domestic.

when i meant 'new one' i meant new cable.
I'll try to fix it first, if it does not work I have to get a new one.

Get a meter out and start checking conductivity and see whats what
Done deal, the second red cable and the brown cable were put in the bundle without being hooked up to anything...

Do you have an link? could not find anything. I did find a company in China who sells the plugs but I'd rather buy domestic.

when i meant 'new one' i meant new cable.
I'll try to fix it first, if it does not work I have to get a new one.

Get a meter out and start checking conductivity and see whats what
Done deal, the second red cable and the brown cable were put in the bundle without being hooked up to anything...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

MiniflexAlex

10+ year member
MiniflexAlex
Leon, MX
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from