I was told Ported is better SQ than sealed today!!??

Now just hold on. Just relax, I'm not done yet //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif.

"Transient response - The time it takes for the output power levels to stabilize after a device connected to the power source stops drawing power."

Can someone put this in english in how it relates to car audio and ported vs. sealed? Or better yet, anyone have a linky?

Now just hold on. Just relax, I'm not done yet //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif.
"Transient response - The time it takes for the output power levels to stabilize after a device connected to the power source stops drawing power."

Can someone put this in english in how it relates to car audio and ported vs. sealed? Or better yet, anyone have a linky?
Transient response is more relatively defined as how well a sub reacts to transients, basically how accurately the woofers movements are controlled as the input to it changes. For the lamen, saying sealed makes for a better transient response is saying that sealed boxes control the woofer better than ported do.

Maybe thats not the best way to put it, somebody else wanna add onto or tweak this definition?

transient response, shransient response. I think you're holding on to that a little tight...... most of those reading this have no idea what you are talking about (comment not meant as a flame is it sounds as so)

also, a flat response sounds good to a mic. generally the human ear favors a little variety

transient response, shransient response. I think you're holding on to that a little tight...... most of those reading this have no idea what you are talking about (comment not meant as a flame is it sounds as so)
also, a flat response sounds good to a mic. generally the human ear favors a little variety
I will admit that I don't understand all of what is being said here...

I do have to say though, as I am sure everyone realizes, there is a big difference between those who take terms like SQ and SPL seroius enough to compete and the everyday average joe schmo with subs...

couldn't one argue that the amplifiers damping could compensate for transient response? there are too many variables for you to hold on to that arguement so closely

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

^x2 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/word.gif.64b12e39f936af3b4fff38a1c0bd0244.gif

Ok ok, let me ask this question....Which type of enclosure has BETTER CONTROL over the subwoofer at peak excursion, or close to peak excursion and why? Because once again, everything I have read, heard, or been tought until 2 days ago says that sealed has better control over the subwoofer than ported...???

dont mind if i jump in? as in your question about control over excursion, sealed has the best control over the frequency band (20-70hz) on average, but ported will control exursion 10x better near tuning but farther you get away from it the less controll it has, make sense? or is someone going to tell me im wrong?

Edit: but control over excursion doesnt neccisarly have to do with sq,

couldn't one argue that the amplifiers damping could compensate for transient response?
No. DF can not and does not compensate for poor transient response. That's not what it is, and not what it does. DF is just a ratio of output impedance to input impedance. Anything above 50 (some say 20) is adequate to dampen voltage spikes. Going any higher does not yield "better" peformance. And it has nothing to do with "improving" transient response that is the result of the acoustic suspension affects of the enclosure. It's a measure of the amp's ability to resist a change in it's output voltage. Absolutely nothing to do with "increasing" transient response from poor enclosure design.

If you have an amp with a low enough DF that the differences are audible; then you need a new damn amp (unless you are a tube fairy like Jack).

transient response, shransient response. I think you're holding on to that a little tight......
Don't agree with that either. The differences in transient response can be noticeable. Enclosures with poor transient response can exhibit obvious "ringing" or "overhang", aswell as what sounds like a delayed response from the subwoofer.

A delayed response from a woofer is something you'll find in about 90% of every install around. In fact, I wonder if it has less to do with the enclosure, and more to do with where you place the enclosure and what direction you point the loud end in relation to where you will be when listening to it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.