Im Just So Picky

Participant count
  • Participant list

Yourgrandma
10+ year member

MN
I'm casually perusing the options out there in HU's. Im currently running an Alpine thats a few years old. (Cant recall the model). I mostly listen to lossless files from my iPod and have grown quite acustomed to having about half of my (350gb) music library with me all the time.

So, from what I can tell, the Ipoods biggest limiting factor is its cheap DAC chip. Im seeing a few models out there which claim to bypass the ipods dac and use their own. Problem is, I cant decide on one.

ackground: The car is a fully dynamatted 02 Bonneville SSEi with 6.5" Boston Pro 60's in the front doors, and a pair of IDQ10s. FWIW I plan to mount the subs in 'glass enclosures in the rear deck and the door panels will be modified to aim the speakers better and to supply them with enclosures.

Anyway, I'm looking at a couple options. Since I know a DD video HU will fit, I'd like to explore that option. Clarion's VX709 interests me because it has all the goodies and Clarion has a rep for good SQ. It is rather pricey, though. I like the option to play video through the iPod, too. Nice touch, though I dont put video on it because I have to much music.

The second option is the JVC AVX720. I guess I don't know of anything that sets it apart from anything else. It doesnt appear to have Burr-Brown DACs, not that B are the only good dac chips, but I dont know whats in this one.

Then theres the Alpine X305. Lacks CD player. That's dumb. Not that I use mine a whole lot, It's nice to have. I like the ability to switch backlight colors. My dash lighting is red, so the blue that 90% of decks have looks stupid. I'm worried about the brightness of the screen here. I rutienly open my faceplate to darken my cabin while driving at night.

Matter of fact, that's something I'd like to know about all these units. Can these screens be powered off at night?

Last one is the Eclipse CD7200 Mk2. I love pre amp only decks. Why spend the money on an internal amp if I'm not using it? The thing looks about 14 years old, but as with Clarion, they have a great reputation and I haven't heard much in the way of bad vibes from them.

If you've read all this, thanks. I'd love to hear your input on any or all of these as well as any others I should add to the list.

I vote for the old school eclipse. Eclipse has had very good head units for a very long time, and it is difficult to make them skip. Second choice would be the Clarion.

i also love my eclipse 8443 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

that 7200 will replace my lame pioneer 9800

While I really value SQ, I just don't think a mobile application is conducive to critical listening to the point where one should go all out on the electronics. Theres plenty more to change on the physical side. That's why the Eclipse isnt a front runner for me. I'm sure it's great and I'd probably value it's assets in the driveway or garage, I usually drive the car.

Although, it's hard to argue with four Eclipse votes in like 5 minutes!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Yourgrandma

10+ year member
Yourgrandma
MN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from