In need of a skilled box builder.

SamIam71

Senior VIP Member
I am in the market for either a pair of single, or a dual, subwoofer enclosure/s. The enclosure/s will be for two Sundown SA12 (2 OHMS DVC) subwoofers, powered by a Soundstream TA1.3000D amplifier (1400RMS@2 OHMS). They will be going into the rear area of an extra cab, S10 pickup. I listen to a wide range of music. Metallica, slipknot, Pearl Jam, Die Antwoord. Very little rap, and no, let me say again, no country.

Looking at Sundown's website, they have plans for boxes, and they would work just fine as far as I am concerned. I am just out to put some bump into my daily driver, not looking for a trophy at the next competition. I got a quote from a local shop for the two single enclosures, $600.00. I had to respectfully decline. I told them I was sure it was worth it, but that was far outside of my budget. I could build these myself, but I am stationed at Fort Drum NY., and about 1200 miles from my tools. I built a few boxes years ago and have some experience building cabinets. I have seen some prefabs that look good and meet specs, but I hear nothing good about them. I will post links to the Sundown plans, as well as to the only prefab I could consider. rade A MDF, 1" Mdf face, yada yada. Labarynth porting?

The only thing I would like to see different is on the dual enclosure. I don't like how the two ports fire into eachother and then exit the box. Could the entire box be made 3/4" wider without changing the interior dimensions (just lengthen the top, bottom, and rear panels) and a divider added to the port?

I would much prefer two single boxes over the dual, but price will most likely be the greatest factor in deciding.

Anyway, if someone out there can give me a quote on building the dual enclosure, and two of the single enclosures, I would really appreciate it.

Sundown's page with enclosure specs.

SA Series

View attachment 26545871

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

This is the only prefab I have seen that catches my eye. (Don't laugh)

12" inch Dual Subwoofer Box Enclosure Ported Vented Obcon 1" MDF Face | eBay

how do shops expect to get loyal customers with a quote for 600.00$ for two 12 boxes. i wish i could go support my local car audio retailers but there prices just cannot compete with internet even in slightest sense. if i were you i would build one box for both 12s either slot ported at 34-36 HZ cause you said you don't listen to rap a lot. buck designs makes awesome boxes and @Dbeez does also. or pay for a design and build it yourself. its much more rewarding once you here a box you built your self, its a good feeling. if you end up buying one plan on paying between 150- 275 for a standard dual 12 inch ported box, price being variant a little.

I couldn't agree more with you. I tried to use the locals, but it didn't work out. It is very common for those around military bases to put yellow ribbon bumper stickers on their cars, then charge twice the going rate for goods and services to soldiers. I am not sure if that is the case in point, or these guys are just high. I f I were not so far from my tools, I could build this. For the price they are asking, I could buy a table saw and router, and build them with change to spare.

I have been in touch with Buck, and he is working me up a quote. I am sure he is doing something other than this Sundown plan,but about their plan. Could a sub be mounted on the same face that the port is on, or would it have to be on the top as they show it?

The way I see it, you have three solid options here:

1. Have @Buck ; design and build you a rock solid enclosure
2. See if you can coax @double 07 ; to do one for you
3. Talk do a guy by the name of dcarcustoms on MAF about a quote and build

To narrow down your options, it would help to know where in "United States" you are :)

Go to home depot or lowes and have them make all your cuts for you. Go to a pawn shop and buy a jigsaw and drill/screw gun. Grab yourself a caulking gun and liquid nails. IF they're sloppy at your home depot cutting buy a 50$ belt sander to square things up. Figuring the cost of shipping even a "small" box you can own the tools from a pawn shop and just knock it together yourself in a couple hours.

Have you tried Installations Unlimited? They are only about an hour from you(North Syracuse). 315-458-5000 they could probably give you a quote over the phone.

Also might be worth pming psych0ticnemes1. He is local and builds boxes

LOL, I love the "Do or Die" spirit man. That is actually not a bad idea at all.

Go to home depot or lowes and have them make all your cuts for you. Go to a pawn shop and buy a jigsaw and drill/screw gun. Grab yourself a caulking gun and liquid nails. IF they're sloppy at your home depot cutting buy a 50$ belt sander to square things up. Figuring the cost of shipping even a "small" box you can own the tools from a pawn shop and just knock it together yourself in a couple hours.

yeah i vote for his response as well... you could just do that and then buy some extra sheets of wood and make some boxes for your friends and you will be in the profit range! easy win... then build a dual ported 12" box and bring it to that shop that quoted you 600$ and drop the box off at their door with a "**** you" painted on it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.