Is this normal? breaking in a new sundown 18..

Participant count
  • Participant list

barber24alldaz
10+ year member

DC
ok, i got my sundown in my car today. i wired it all up to my mtx 1501d with the gain turned all the way down..all of a sudden i hear this high pitch squealing noise before i even turn the gain up..i immediately disconnected the power..i don't know why it is making this noise..is it normal for a new subwoofer to do this??

i didnt think so..is it possible i could have a wire crossed? (i dont think i do). also, how can i test the amp?
I would start narrowing down things...like try unplugging the RCA's and turning it on. If it goes away you know it's coming from your HU, if it's still there, then it's probably the amp.

I would start narrowing down things...like try unplugging the RCA's and turning it on. If it goes away you know it's coming from your HU, if it's still there, then it's probably the amp.
well i disconnected the sub from the amp, and turned everything up on the amp...trying to get it to go into protect or something..it wouldnt. i guess im about to try your idea..

ok, i did that..the squeal is still there...how do i go about disecting what is wrong with my amp?? since apparently that is what's messed up

ok, i did that..the squeal is still there...how do i go about disecting what is wrong with my amp?? since apparently that is what's messed up
eh, that part is harder...if there's an internal problem with the amp, most likely it doesn't matter what it is, because you can't fix it.

eh, that part is harder...if there's an internal problem with the amp, most likely it doesn't matter what it is, because you can't fix it.
i dont wanna fix it so much, as just know that is where the problem is..

i dont wanna fix it so much, as just know that is where the problem is..
Well, then open it up, if a component failed it may be damaged (capacitor's leaking, mosfets blown, etc.). But like I said, with your level of knowledge, their isn't anything you can do except send it out for repair. You should first make 100% sure it's the amp. It would help if you had another amp you could swap out to make sure your everything else (sub, ground, etc) are all good.

Well, then open it up, if a component failed it may be damaged (capacitor's leaking, mosfets blown, etc.). But like I said, with your level of knowledge, their isn't anything you can do except send it out for repair. You should first make 100% sure it's the amp. It would help if you had another amp you could swap out to make sure your everything else (sub, ground, etc) are all good.
i know, i think i am gonna try and hook up a spare amp jus to make sure..although i never had any problems with my set up like this b4..but for the sake of making sure its the amp i will do it.

Sounds like an amp problem to me! It could also be a bad ground! Or mabey have you checked your grounds ina while? Are they rusty under the ground connectors?

alright...well, i have found the source of the problem. it is deff within the 1501d. i jus hooked my puny 300 watt mtx up to the sub..it got it to turn on and even hit a few lows..SOOO the good news is, my sub/ first custom box i built sound great!! bad news is, i need a good amp repair man..i ultimatly want to sell the 1501d tho, i want a saz 1500 or 2000..so i dono if i should repair it and sell it, or just sell it for repair...

alright...well, i have found the source of the problem. it is deff within the 1501d. i jus hooked my puny 300 watt mtx up to the sub..it got it to turn on and even hit a few lows..SOOO the good news is, my sub/ first custom box i built sound great!! bad news is, i need a good amp repair man..i ultimatly want to sell the 1501d tho, i want a saz 1500 or 2000..so i dono if i should repair it and sell it, or just sell it for repair...
Best thing to do, is list it with the problem, but get a quote for a repair first. That way a potential buyer knows how much it will cost to fix. Keep in mind your selling a semi-functional amp when your pricing it though...your definitely not going to get full market value for it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.