JBL MS-8 processor question

Participant count
  • Participant list

jmcinvale
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I just installed a JBL MS-8 processor in my 2005 CRV and had a question.

After calibration with the Logic 7 processing on the sound is balanced properly between right and left channels, but with Logic 7 processing off the sound seems to come more from the right channel making the system seem unbalanced.

Any idea what is going on?

Thought it was a step in the setup process that you get the OK on volume adjust three times before it'll let you calibrate, so doubt it'd be the volume from the HU. I'd call up JBL and see what they have to say about it. Haven't heard of this issue before until now.

What I meant is the processors volume control setting as the manual says not to have it set too high or it will affect calibration. That said if it is too low would that affect calibration as well?

What volume did you set the MS-8 to right before the sweeps? If the sweeps are too quiet it won't get the time alignment right and your imaging will not be correct. Are you powering your speakers with the MS-8 amplifier?

I used -40 for the volume setting. The only thing powered by the MS-8 is my dash tweeters. The other four speakers (two midbass in front doors and two Infinity coaxial in rear doors) are powered by two JL 300/4 amps bridged for 300 WPC.

If I need to redo the measurements I will use a small dab of glue to keep the JL amp level controls from moving since the amps are mounted to the subwoofer box.

When I ran the calibration at -40 the imaging was all wacked out. I had also set the amplifier gains very low. The gains should be dialed in at the 2V mark or close to it, which I did not do. Try the calibration at -30.

I tried your settings and the imaging seems better, but without logic7 on the sound still seems a little bit set more to the right channel.

EDIT: I think I am just so used to the unbalanced sound without the processor that now with the processor getting the sound properly balanced I think it is off, but the more I listen without logic 7 on the more it sounds right.

Last edited by a moderator:
but with Logic 7 processing off the sound seems to come more from the right channel making the system seem unbalanced.
Any idea what is going on?
Could it be that the sound comes from the center of dash, but you perceive it to come from right right because you're not used to it? Anyways, let's say MS-8 gave to much bias to the right side speakers. The way to fix it, the way I see it, is to rerun calibration, but this time move your head slightly closer to the center during calibration. This should give less time delay and attenuation to the left speakers, and will hopefully fix your problem.

When it tells me to look at the drivers mirroe then the passenger mirror how far should I turn my head?
I look at the center of the mirror square on. This gives me the vocals centered above the middle of the dash with music that I know should have the vocals there. You can test this with the radio playing and listen for someone speaking, or any recording you have that is in mono.

Oh ok Maybe that is my problem. I'll rerun calculations looking square at the center of the mirror.
I am wondering if there are any firmware updates for it?
Not that I'm aware of. I could try to check the firmware version on my MS-8 if you want to compare. Does your calibration CD say V2?

Not sure will have to look at the cd.

I saw a video on JBLs website of one being set up and the guys head was so that it wouldn't touch the headrest. Maybe I need to try it that way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.