JL 1000/1 amp still dimming lights

in2bass

I have a 2000 Mustang GT and currently running a JL 1000/1 amp with a JL 13W7 sub, The door and rear speakers are being powered by the head unit for now (Pioneer Premier DEH-P690UB), I didn't want to add another amp until I can sort out this dimming issue I'm having.

I only have 1 battery, an Optima D34/78 yellow top, and Ive done the "Big 3" wire upgrade.

I also have a 1 farad cap next to the amp and the power wire from the amp to battery is 4 gauge wire.

I have to turn up the volume pretty far before it starts dimming but if i keep turning it up the amp will eventually shutdown with it's low voltage warning LED lit up , I'm not hearing any distortion before this happens so I'm curious how much better it would sound if i can correct the issue.

Ive seen the CAP read as low as 9 volts depending on the song & volume.

Is there any way to improve this dimming without having to add a 2nd battery? My alternator is stock and is rated 130amps, would using a higher output alternator help at all?

Ive also been told removing the CAP altogether might help?

Any ideas appreciated!

what size wire do you have ran ditch the cap and get a second battery for the rear..
Well.. I'm trying to avoid adding a 2nd battery due to the added weight but ill try losing the cap and see what happens, the wiring is all 4 gauge at the moment.

depending on what kind of 4 AWG, you may need larger wire though. 2 AWG, or just go all out, and get the 1/0 AWG, and dont get cheap wires, get some decent stuff like KNU or osmething.

You simply need to lose the cap and a second battery. With just the 1000/1 you can get by with the HC1200 or D1200. Upgrading your alt alone will not resolve the issue with dimming while playing music.

Now if you plan on adding a 4chan amp, you might want to consider buying a bigger second battery that will handle both amps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.