K&N air filters.

JimJ
5,000+ posts

Tangled Up in Blue
Went to Autozone to pick up a few parts for the van (air filter, fuel filter, PCV valve, breather filter, blah blah) and noticed a huge price differential between the Fram/STP cheapie air filters and the K&N reusable ones. I don't have a CAI or any intake mods, so would replacing mine with a K&N filter really make that much of a difference? Even online, they're $35-40 compared to $5/$10. My question is, do they make enough difference to make the extra money worth it... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif I've got 140k on the truck, so I'm not afraid to put some money in parts, but if this is a placebo-effect item, I'll pass.

Doing a USENET search on this didn't yield very good technical responses, so I figured I'd try here.

dont do it...they will flow more air but the downside is that they let more dirt through. i had a writeup on this somewhere. also the oils used on the filter have a tendency to run down to the lowest point on the filter. there have been guys who used a thicker oil to remedy this but at the expense of less air flow through the filter. if it were me id just keep a clean, stock filter in there and call it a day.

Interesting...looks a lot like the sponges I've used for air filters on 5hp Briggs lawnmower engines //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

K&N's are crap they let a lot of dirt in with the air. To protect your motor the stock at least GM filters are the best. However, for high flow filters the BEST I have seen are AFE Filters .

i've been running a K&N filter for 5 years now and experience no problems what so ever. the oil did not collect on the bottom of the filter etc. first i had the regular panel filter since i was still using the stock air box, and and currently using a cone intake with a K&N filter. main problem i see with the oil screwing up the MAF is that people unknowingly spray too much of the oil back on the filter after they washed it. as long as the pink color is uniform, it will be ok. my $.02

Not worth it. x2 on the clean standard filter.

Read an interesting 'shootout' in EuroTuner re: different filters / CAI vs. none at all;

Anyway, that's another topic.

its not the air filter most of the time restricting your air flow. its a horrible bent up path that that the air flows in. thats why so many people buy those thin aluminum mandrel bent intake tubes. if you is handy pvc works very well for this same application.

i would not recommend using pvc since it will become very brittle over time due to the amount of heat the engine gives off. also, the heated pvc can give off certain fumes that can negatively affect the air flow meter.

i would not recommend using pvc since it will become very brittle over time due to the amount of heat the engine gives off. also, the heated pvc can give off certain fumes that can negatively affect the air flow meter.
it is an old 4wheeling trick that has worked countless times. as for being brittle you are right but if it lasts on **** beaten abused trucks, on a car will be fine.

I have one on my car and truck. I think it yeilds about 1 whp thats it. I like to be able to clean it anytime and not run to the store to get a new one. No problems with the oil running to the bottom spot just dont spray to much and you can let it sit there a minute too. many cai use a k&n type filter

I have one aswell and I haven`t notcied any more performance,but the only reason i bought it was being able to clean it myself and not having to go buy another every 3-6 months.When I do clean it,it don`t realy seem to be that dirty.I put a new one in last fall and at the begining of spring took it out to clean it and it wasnt` realy that bad at all,but iu`ll realy know here in another month cuz there isn`t much dust during the winter.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.