Keeps blowing fuses

Participant count
  • Participant list

1colorz2

So a few months ago, I got a new Sony deck for my 99 mustang gt. Still has the stock Mach 460 sound system though. The other night my idiot friend was helping me jump start my car, and he reversed the cables causing sparks to fly everywhere for a few seconds. Afterwards my deck wasn't getting power. So this morning I found that the fuse on the back of the deck itself was blown, and one in my fuse box (both 10A). No big deal replaced them and went to plug my deck back in. Immediately blew both fuses. Tried again, same thing happened. Could there be a short somewhere? Where could it be? Or am I supposed to plug it in a certain way (unplug the battery or something?) The second the plug makes a connection with the deck it blows both fuses..

If you could easily disconnect the harness and hook it up directly to a battery, you could figure out one of two things:

1. If it blows the fuse on the back of the deck, the deck itself was damaged

2. If it works fine on a battery, the wiring in the car has a short or is damaged some other way

Just connect the power and ground connections to the battery, then touch the 12v+ switched power to the batter positive to test it

Replaced the fuse in the fuse box, plugged the original deck back in, worked fine. DAMMIT. I loved my new deck but I guess the thing is fried. Rip Sony MEX-N4100BT...

Replaced the fuse in the fuse box, plugged the original deck back in, worked fine. DAMMIT. I loved my new deck but I guess the thing is fried. Rip Sony MEX-N4100BT...
That sux...That's a nice deck....Ive seen reversed jumper cables cause a lot of damage to car audio systems...your luck it didn't fry the cars computer...

This is old but I know but I've grown sick of the stock deck and using a stupid cassette tape with an aux cord and I would rather not buy a new one for my mustang. I decided to take the deck apart today and nothing seems burned nor does it look like anything got hot at all. The problem isn't my mustang cause the original deck still works, so its either the deck or the adapter. I will check the adapter, but what in the deck could be ruined?

This is old but I know but I've grown sick of the stock deck and using a stupid cassette tape with an aux cord and I would rather not buy a new one for my mustang. I decided to take the deck apart today and nothing seems burned nor does it look like anything got hot at all. The problem isn't my mustang cause the original deck still works, so its either the deck or the adapter. I will check the adapter, but what in the deck could be ruined?
Not familiar with the deck but if you look at the little cylindrical metal pieces on your board, they should have like an x indentation on the top. If they're convexed instead of flat that could be the problem. You'll see burnt or blackened areas of it fried your board. Make sure you inspect the bottom and top.

Not familiar with the deck but if you look at the little cylindrical metal pieces on your board, they should have like an x indentation on the top. If they're convexed instead of flat that could be the problem. You'll see burnt or blackened areas of it fried your board. Make sure you inspect the bottom and top.
I see what you're talking about. The X's are flat, and I see nor smell any burned areas. Could one of the places it gets plugged in be fried? I don't realy understand why my deck even got ruined by the incident. It had to go through 2 fuses to fry it... My adapter seems fine too.

I see what you're talking about. The X's are flat, and I see nor smell any burned areas. Could one of the places it gets plugged in be fried? I don't realy understand why my deck even got ruined by the incident. It had to go through 2 fuses to fry it... My adapter seems fine too.
Disconnect your b+ and memory retainer wires. Connect both of those wires to the + terminal on your battery, and then ground your black wire to somewhere on your chassis. There's plenty of easy to remove nuts for you to ground on. If it turns on with no problems there, then perhaps your oem to Aftermarket harness has a problem. Not sure though. Never encountered this problem

Disconnect your b+ and memory retainer wires. Connect both of those wires to the + terminal on your battery, and then ground your black wire to somewhere on your chassis. There's plenty of easy to remove nuts for you to ground on. If it turns on with no problems there, then perhaps your oem to Aftermarket harness has a problem. Not sure though. Never encountered this problem
I am not inclined enough to know how to do that //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif. I was just going to use a volt meter on it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.