Kenwood Android Auto says unsupported device?

Participant count
  • Participant list

dorlow
10+ year member

I have a Kenwood DNX574S stereo installed in my car. I had it installed by Best Buy about 2 months ago. I also have an LG V30 phone. Since install, Android Auto is extremely finicky. I plug my phone into the car's usb and sometimes it would work and sometimes it would give me the error "unsupported device" and not work. Sometimes it would work and half way down the road, it would give I think a "read error" on the screen and the phone would disconnect and I couldn't get it to connect to android auto again. Up until recently it was a 50/50 shot if it would work.

The last few weeks though I can't get it to connect at all. Finally I ordered an OEM USB cable for my phone to rule that out. Got it in the mail today and plugged it in and nothing. Will not connect. Same error stating "unsupported device."

I called Kenwood tech support. The only advice they had was for me to reset my radio to defaults. I did it and it didn't help.

I pulled the radio out of the car and plugged my phone directly into the usb connection behind the radio eliminating the extension to the usb connector in the dash of my car. Still same error.

Any idea? I haven't swapped the phone.. Don't have a convenient one to try. My phone has worked intermittent in the past. Now it won't connect at all. My phone isn't rooted or anything. Just stock image. But seeing it has worked tells me it does work.

I saw there was a firmware update for the radio and I updated it last night. No improvement.

Can't really use a different program. Android Auto is built into the receiver. I have to use Android Auto to use this feature with the USB. The phone has all the latest OTA updates.

I turned off WiFi and boom, went through AA setup and now working. I was connected to DNX574 deck through WiFi, so think that was the problem. Hope it works for you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.