Key-Off, Uneven Battery Drain After Stereo Replacement

Participant count
  • Participant list

khantroll

Hi All! I've got a strange problem I hope someone here can help me with. My girlfriend has a 2008 Dodge Avenger, and for her birthday she asked for an aftermarket stereo. I purchased this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017B80WI8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now, I didn't know that these cars required a microprocessor controlled wiring harness in order to use an aftermarket stereo, so that required an emergency run to Best Buy, but that was the only real hiccup.

About a week later, the she went to go to work and the battery died. We tested took the battery out and had it load tested, and it was good. We took the alternator off and had it tested, and it was fine. She suggested it was the stereo, but I said "Naw, it can't be, it lasted a week, and besides, the radio shuts off when the key is off." With no other options, we decided to pull the battery fuse and see what happened. The car never failed to start for over a week, so we put the fuse back in. Every three days or so, the car died. So we called the radio manufacturer: they said it might be a fault with the radio, so I should double check everything and let the know and they would replace it. I took everything back apart, redid my connections to be sure they were good, and then three days later it was dead. I let them know that, and I still haven't heard from them.

So, I contacted Axxess (the manufacturer of the wiring harness), and they said it sounded as though the computer was still on because I had installed it with the doors open. They gave me some instructions that required me to put the old radio in, let it play for 5 minutes, turn the key off,open the door, close the door, wait for the domelight to turn off, reinstall the aftermarket stereo, and then power up the aftermarket stereo, turn the key off, and open the door, and then turn the key back on.

I did all of that, and the battery was drained the next morning.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

1st of all, Boss is known to be junk, and lucky it will last you more than a week or a month. It's bottom of the barrel car audio...it's cheap pricing attracting young buyers...or older ones, who knows.

That said, pull the HU fuse and see if that helps any...try it for a day or two. Does the car have any factory amp(s) somewhere?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.