Kill switch for amplifier/subwoofer removal

Participant count
  • Participant list
Working on setting up a subwoofer in a small car. I'd like the option to remove the subwoofer if I need more trunk space. I'm thinking of installing a kill switch on the amplifier remote turn on wire and simply disconnecting the speaker wires to the subwoofer when I need to remove the sub. Are there any problems with just turning the amp off using the kill switch and removing the sub as I've described?

Thanks

Working on setting up a subwoofer in a small car. I'd like the option to remove the subwoofer if I need more trunk space. I'm thinking of installing a kill switch on the amplifier remote turn on wire and simply disconnecting the speaker wires to the subwoofer when I need to remove the sub. Are there any problems with just turning the amp off using the kill switch and removing the sub as I've described?
Thanks
Nope, that's fine. Just make sure the power and ground wires stay nice and snug. Without the remote signal the amp should stay off when the radio/loc turns on.

Sounds great. One other question, since I would be putting the switch on the power antenna wire it would be only effective when turning the radio on right? So if I am running the radio already, hitting the kill switch wouldn't actually power off the amp? Or does the power antenna wire send a constant electrical signal keeping the amp on that can be disrupted by the switch?

Thanks!

Sounds great. One other question, since I would be putting the switch on the power antenna wire it would be only effective when turning the radio on right? So if I am running the radio already, hitting the kill switch wouldn't actually power off the amp? Or does the power antenna wire send a constant electrical signal keeping the amp on that can be disrupted by the switch?
Thanks!
Sorry, I didn't see this until now. FYI quote someone and they'll get a notification.

The remote wire sends a constant voltage, so even if the radio is on flipping the switch will turn off the amps.

The power antennae wire does the same thing, but only on the AM/FM tuner or w/e source would use the antennae. When you go to that source, if you have a power antennae this voltage will allow the antennae to raise. When it loses the signal (i.e. radio turns off or you change to a different source) it'll lower it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.