Kinetik Dead, Need a new battery

can be sulfation, I have seen and worked with many different batteries resting as low as 4 volts and brought them back. Some do not come back at all. If you have a system that can pull more power than your alt puts out and you notice you have a low sitting battery chances are it is undercharged/sulfated. I don't have too great of luck with bringing back some batteries like spiral cells with the chargers but most others do eventually come back (may take a few cycles of charge discharge and recharge right after you ran it down some). You dont want to desulfate a charged battery and most chargers have to kick into it rather than being selectable. Charging up a dead or a low battery is also a form of desulphation as sulfation starts as soon as a battery is removed from a charge.. I use desulphation when the battery wont accept a charge. Look up the term you will see more hands on what it actually is and what causes it. It is one of the main reasons most all -if not all -battery companies do not cover undercharging situations as that is not a defect of the product but rather a deficiency of a proper charging system and or monitoring of the battery.
Interesting, the instructions that came with my charger specifically said to charge it for up to 20 minutes before using the desulfate mode. Should I not have charged the battery?

it was on a 5 amp charger for like an hour or 2
The charger should be regulated for AGM batteries and not wanting to go much higher in resting voltage is what sulfation will actually do. It rips at a batteries capacity and ability to recharge.

The charger should be regulated for AGM batteries and not wanting to go much higher in resting voltage is what sulfation will actually do. It rips at a batteries capacity and ability to recharge.
So The regeneration finished and then It took a couple hours for the charger til top off the battery to full. Voltage off the charger was a about 13.12v Measuring the battery this morning and it had dropped to 12.8v.

I will get another voltage reading tonight before I put it back in the vehicle. If it drops lower, at what voltage would you suggest running another regeneration cycle? Also, should I leave it in the car with my headlights turned on to help discharge the battery before running the cycle again?

I would actually start the vehicle 2 or three times and see where the voltage sits after that. If it drops to 12.7 or 12.5 I would just put it on the charger at 10 amps or start it a couple of times more and put it back on the charger. Recharging it is actually a form of desulphation. It recoops lost sulfer when it recharges. When done the battery should be pretty strong. The self discharge on a kinetik is pretty low, I have had 1 or 2 that I fully charged put up and let them sit for 6 + months and still read 12.6v+ (they were not new either), it is just when people take them out or leave them in the vehicle without charging them and they are only 80 to 70% charged before they store them is where they have issues. Also depends on the parasitic drain too. If you have a low capacity battery it will die faster in that condition be it to the design of the battery being lower capacity or leaving it in a weak state of charge.

measured the voltage when I got home from work and it was at 12.78v. Decided to try it in the truck so I installed it and the truck started right up, no needles bouncing around etc. I tried starting it 3 times (once with the headlights on) and it started right up without hesitation. Turned the lights on and took a measurement and it was at 12.11v. Turned them off and started the truck one more time and it still started right up without any of the problems I was having before. As a bonus it reset my Hu and the USB reader is functioning again //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

I measured the resting battery and the voltage was 12.44v at this point. Pulled it out and put it on back on the charger but at 10 amps this time. I think you saved my battery. At least now I can get it to the dealer this weekend to fix my leaky axle seal, rather than buying a new battery.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.