KnuKonceptz claimed ampacity

A 1/0 wire is a 1/0 wire regardless of the length, as long as there's no insulation on it for you to burn up. The longer a run of wire is, the more resistance it has. This does lead to a larger voltage drop. It also leads to more heat. High resistance + current=heat. So if you have a short run of 1/0 and it has a high grade insulation on it, it can possibly handle 800 plus amps. If it were a very long run, the resistance of the wire would be much higher and heat up. It would melt the insulation on the wire more than likely causing a fire. Length has everything to do with the amount of current a wire can handle safely.

Ok, most people that posted criticisms have no clue when it comes to electrical theory.

The relationship between size of current in a wire and its heating effect is very simple.

Heating is proportional to the square of the current and the resistance of the wire.

Heat loss can be expressed in watts. That is to say the rate that energy is transfered or used at.

Take Bills example: 20ft can carry 300a the same way 5ft can carry 800a

So P(watts)=I*I*R

I used the wire resistance calculator here:

http://www.stealth316.com/2-wire-resistance.htm

800*800*.0005=320w over 5ft OR 64w/ft

300*300*.002=180w over 20ft OR 9w/ft

So the 5ft run would produce 7 times more heat per foot. I find it hard to believe that 5ft of 0ga can expel 320w of heat.

Bills explanation is crap. But you guys love knu so it doesn't matter. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Ok, most people that posted criticisms have no clue when it comes to electrical theory.
The relationship between size of current in a wire and its heating effect is very simple.

Heating is proportional to the square of the current and the resistance of the wire.

Heat loss can be expressed in watts. That is to say the rate that energy is transfered or used at.

Take Bills example: 20ft can carry 300a the same way 5ft can carry 800a

So P(watts)=I*I*R

I used the wire resistance calculator here:

http://www.stealth316.com/2-wire-resistance.htm

800*800*.0005=320w over 5ft OR 64w/ft

300*300*.002=180w over 20ft OR 9w/ft

So the 5ft run would produce 7 times more heat per foot. I find it hard to believe that 5ft of 0ga can expel 320w of heat.

Bills explanation is crap. But you guys love knu so it doesn't matter. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
I knu someone would see through their BS. You can fool some of the people some of the time... As to the troll part, not really, just trying to dispel some myths. There's a lot of BS about wire's ampacity on this site. I gave a manufacturer's rep ample opportunity to stand behind their product. All I got was BS. Well not "that" kind of 300 amps. A different kind of 800 amps will be fine though. Fraud, plain and simple. Forrest Gump is wise enough to not buy their wire. I need a link to that current drop table....

I knu someone would see through their BS. You can fool some of the people some of the time... As to the troll part, not really, just trying to dispel some myths. There's a lot of BS about wire's ampacity on this site. I gave a manufacturer's rep ample opportunity to stand behind their product. All I got was BS. Well not "that" kind of 300 amps. A different kind of 800 amps will be fine though. Fraud, plain and simple. Forrest Gump is wise enough to not buy their wire. I need a link to that current drop table....
Why are you targeting Knu and not every single other wire manufacturer out there? Do you have something against them?

Also, it seems as though you're indirectly claiming that none of the 3kw amps on the market can do close to their rated power without having two 1/0 power inputs, right? Even amps that have been bench tested to do said wattage with one 1/0 input? According to you, that would be completely impossible.

Also, it seems as though you're indirectly claiming that none of the 3kw amps on the market can do close to their rated power without having two 1/0 power inputs, right? Even amps that have been bench tested to do said wattage with one 1/0 input? According to you, that would be completely impossible.

You do understand though that it is not 300amps continuous. Correct?
nG
This

There are many things in the caraudio world that can be argued, pick and choose your arguments carefully. I personally don't care if you tell me that the product that they manufacture is complete trash, I have been using it for years with no issues, and will not stop using it because of your comments.

1. A 3kw amp with less than a 250a fuse most likely does not do rated. (i.e. audiopipe)

2. Less than 1% of every claim I've seen about bench testing amps is a legitimate test. 99% of people test Apparent Power (inflated) which is not the same as Real Power (what the manufacturers spec is).

Personally I like knu. I have my big 3 in klmx and the rest is fleks. I have no problem using 250a fuses.

I think Mc just pointed out knu because they are the most popular.

You do understand though that it is not 300amps continuous. Correct?
nG
I fully understand. If they state their wire is good for a certain amount of current, they should assume I'm gonna run it balls to the wall. They have no idea what type of music I listen to, nor the equipment I use to power it. I may well prefer test tones all day. A wire's stated ampacity is a maximum that can be sustained. Assuming some arbitrary "real world" amperage based upon a presumed (assumed) efficiency is ludicrous. They obviously have their niche with people who know no better. I should start selling wire. I have reels of #10 that are good for um, 150 amps, yeah 150 amps. Wanna buy some? If you want it in red it's good for 200 amps, honest.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.