Local Car Audio Shop Experience

vnisme
10+ year member

Does anyone here like to visit these shops? Every time I go in, I feel that these guys look at you as someone they can rip off.. Prices are never posted so you have to ask about prices... and they are never anywhere near prices you can get online.. I understand there are staff you must pay for and everything but I got quoted $220 for DC audio m3 8's at a shop when I see them for $180 online.. I didn't even want to ask if there is tax. My friend asked for an orion hcca 15" and they quoted him $650... I honestly do not like going into these shops because they pressure you so much to buy their overly charged items, while they swear to you that they are offering you the best prices. I asked a few years ago at another shop how much they sell these subwoofers for, and I told them I saw them online for $100... he said no way I can get them that cheap.. I walked off and he offered me the sub for $100 plus tax... Where do you guys usually go for car audio equipment? Online or local stores?

I could understand if you had a relationship w/ the shop owner, they were straight w/ you, and gave you good prices, but most times in my experience I did not find that. I felt like they were always trying to calculate how much they could make off you, because they think you don't know jack. I would rather go to best buy and check out their car audio than step in a shop and get sweated over products. This is why I shop online and just go by word of mouth, I feel that it's more reliable than a salesman trying to convince you to buy the product in the store, rather than give it to you straight. I know.... it's a business and you need to make money to stay open, but does it have to feel like they're beating around the bush to conduct business? Anyone else feel like this?

Depends entirely on the brand. Some brands are protected so you can only get them from a brick and mortar store like dd audio. Others like Memphis you can find certain pieces of there gear online at full retail and older gear at lower prices. But if you want their higher end you have to go brick and mortar. Some brands like DC audio, star audio and various other small companies sell online and undercut the brick and mortar stores. Yes I can buy a star audio amp online cheaper than local actually only about 10bucks over what my dealer paid for them. He no longer orders star unless someone ask for them since online undercuts him so bad.

Really it boils down to how protected a product line is for the dealers that sell them. More protection means less product movement but you end up with a solid dealer chain. Less protection means more sells at lower profit margins making it hard for a dealer to make money.

For instance a Memphis power reference 12 has a minimum dealer price of $129 as per contract. But that only includes a $40 profit so if you get them online for 110 you've cut the profit on half and dealers by contract cannot match the price.

Does anyone here like to visit these shops? Every time I go in, I feel that these guys look at you as someone they can rip off.. Prices are never posted so you have to ask about prices... and they are never anywhere near prices you can get online.. I understand there are staff you must pay for and everything but I got quoted $220 for DC audio m3 8's at a shop when I see them for $180 online.. I didn't even want to ask if there is tax. My friend asked for an orion hcca 15" and they quoted him $650... I honestly do not like going into these shops because they pressure you so much to buy their overly charged items, while they swear to you that they are offering you the best prices. I asked a few years ago at another shop how much they sell these subwoofers for, and I told them I saw them online for $100... he said no way I can get them that cheap.. I walked off and he offered me the sub for $100 plus tax... Where do you guys usually go for car audio equipment? Online or local stores?
that 40 dollar premium covers the warranty, you dont have to pay return ship if things happen.

No reputable shop is ever going to not charge sales tax, unless they're located in a place that is exempt from sales tax. If your location of Orange County, CA, is correct, you're surrounded by a massive number of stores that sell and install car audio. You may have to drive a bit, but the options are plentiful. It sounds like you haven't found a good one yet, or you haven't yet talked to a good sales person. Did you try Al & Ed's in Huntington Beach?

I went to Al and Eds about 7 years ago. I didn't know much about car audio at the time and still have learning to do.. so I cannot say much. I came in there for a box and they hooked me up. Well I guess what I have been trying to say is that most of the shops I have been into, do not give me a comfortable feeling like we are all bassheads trying to achieve one goal. I think that their prices should be at least in range of online prices. Even if they are not making huge profits, it beats sitting on product for forever. Anyways, even if they are not selling products, I believe they still have a place in car installations, because not everyone is willing to work on their car audio themselves, or they want a very clean install done by professionals. Just my experiences, i'm not trying to say car audio shops ****, they just don't make me feel comfortable, and in the mood to purchase product.

How many businesses have folded up because of online sales? A lot. And there's very few car audio shops around my area. There used to be alot all over the place. But, since the birth of the internet, people have found out that they can get that same item online much cheaper. Don't even compare in person. Because it simply won't happen. They're there to run/operate a business. Which is completely understandable. I have heard horror stories about car audio shops, product mark ups, installs not done right, etc. Online buys offer so much nowadays such as free shipping and no tax, who can beat that?!

It's simple really. If they wanna remain competitive, you gotta be competitive. And customer service is key. Treating your customers like a king.

YES!! It was Stereo Blvd... It was not my decision... my friend told me to check out this place and kidnapped me there.. The numbers they were giving me..... LOL
I would not support them. They arent authorized dealers, they buy though woofersetc and resell. They spew a lot of BS about how legit they are. Most of them never even ran any of the brands they sell and their owner has no clue what his products are, he just is riding the blind nut hugging trend from all the bassheads coming to his shop and talking to him. Regurgitated misinformation at its finest.

Just get the gear and do the install yourself. If installing's not your think, just wait when CSCstang gets back into action after his shoulder surgery, you got one of the best installers/box builders in the OC/LA area right there at lake forest.

Yeah thats what i thought.. i saw old models, new models, discontinued models.. it was like a bunch of thugs were running the store.. and I agree.. they should offer excellent service or do something to give us a reason to shop local. In a competitive market, you need to adapt... or close your doors..

OP lost all credibility when thinks he will buy something with no tax.

$40 over online price? Well worth it to buy it person just incase something happens.

These shops have no incentive to sell their product at a few points above cost, like these online retailers do. If are paying for the install, then yes I would match online prices no problem. However if your joe schmo off the street, your a DIYer and want me to match an online price so I have no profit and have to warranty your crap when you probably blow it.... no way in hell. In no way shape or form is that even worth it.

I agree service is extremely important, but honestly you sound like a person that would value price over service, and those are the type of customers a shop will never win over, nor should try to.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.