Location of ignition wire in 2000 Taurus SEL

Participant count
  • Participant list
Please help!!!

I am dying for some help here. I have a bluetooth carkit, harmon kardon driveplay, and sirius satellite and they are all ready to be installed. I want to do it myself, but my problem is that I cannot locate my ignition wire in my 2000 Ford Taurus SEL with digitized climate controls. All of these devices call for a wire to be connected to the inigitio switch. I went to best buy and a couple of local stores that do installs, and you'd swear it was a trade secret. they just want me to come to them and to have it installed....NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!!

Is there another option to hook them in....maybe the accessory box? I am not sure, but I am ready to install this stuff and trying to locate the ignition switch has just drained me. Please Help.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Please help!!!
I am dying for some help here. I have a bluetooth carkit, harmon kardon driveplay, and sirius satellite and they are all ready to be installed. I want to do it myself, but my problem is that I cannot locate my ignition wire in my 2000 Ford Taurus SEL with digitized climate controls. All of these devices call for a wire to be connected to the inigitio switch. I went to best buy and a couple of local stores that do installs, and you'd swear it was a trade secret. they just want me to come to them and to have it installed....NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!!

Is there another option to hook them in....maybe the accessory box? I am not sure, but I am ready to install this stuff and trying to locate the ignition switch has just drained me. Please Help.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Where is your ignition swith in that car, on the steering column? Take apart the under-dash, then take apart the plastic parts of the steering column to expose the wires on the ignition switch. Use a DMM to test for ignition and constant. Once you have found the ignition and constant wires, use a relay and wire as follows:

Pin 85 = Switched +12V input from Igntion switch "Ignition"

Pin 86 = Ground

Pin 30 = Constant +12V input from Ignition switch "Constant"

Pin 87 = Output to your new aftermarket devices

I would probably also fuse each power wire to each device.

Oh yeah, anything wrapped in yellow tape is for the airbags, leave it alone. The wires you want are directly attached to the key cylinder, and are relatively thick. (14 - 10 ga).

or you could whip out the owners manual, go to the fuse box diagram, find an ignition controlled slot that is not being used, get a small wire with an in-line fuse and run it from the under dash fuse box to your equipment

I must admit that going through the fuse box sounds a whole lot easier. When you say ignition controlled slot, do you mean something like the windshield wiper, which will only come on when the car is turned on, or the key is in the accessory position? The wires to each device the calls for hooking into the ignition already have fuses in line. Does the slot have to be unoccupied?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.