Logical or not?

Participant count
  • Participant list
can you just drop the 6.5" comps right in the front door? If so i think i'm gonna go with the PG RSD's too! I don't need perfection.. just something way better than what i've got.
well, you cant drop them in w/o some minor modifications. for the tweeters you're going to have to make a little baffle and use the flush mount hardware to mount them snug. i used an 8"x10" (~1/8" thick) piece of plexi ($1.94) and a dremel to make them. it can be kinda of a **tch to use plexi as it is very brittle and and cracks easily. i will post some pics of the pair i have made so you can get an idea of what i am talking about.

as for the midbass driver... you're going to have to make baffle to mount them correctly. unfortunately the people at ford like to use 5x7 speakers, so baffles are a must. i will prob make the baffles for the 6.5's in the next couple of days, but it's pretty straight forward; im going to use either 1/2" or 3/4 " mdf and then from their just follow the tutorial below to properly deaden and install the midbass;

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95925

... and i've never had components before, but from what i hear they make a worlds of a difference (with an amp of course)

as for the midbass driver... you're going to have to make baffle to mount them correctly. unfortunately the people at ford like to use 5x7 speakers, so baffles are a must. i will prob make the baffles for the 6.5's in the next couple of days, but it's pretty straight forward; im going to use either 1/2" or 3/4 " mdf and then from their just follow the tutorial below to properly deaden and install the midbass;
right on.

i found this bracket. http://cgi.ebay.com/Metra-82-5600-Ford-Speaker-Adapter-5x7-6x8-NIP_W0QQitemZ150143445657QQihZ005QQcategoryZ50552QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and figure i'll use this to mount the speaker, and maybe buy a foam baffle to put behind it. Deaden the doors too. I'm gonna have someone professionally install it just because this way i'll have someone to go to if it doesn't work. I'll do the deadening myself to save on parts and labor.

do you think one 10" or 12" sub will be enough bass to keep up with everything? I figure i'll do that myself too. I just don't wanna have to run wires and such

also, are you just using the factory speaker wire??

right on.
i found this bracket. http://cgi.ebay.com/Metra-82-5600-Ford-Speaker-Adapter-5x7-6x8-NIP_W0QQitemZ150143445657QQihZ005QQcategoryZ50552QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and figure i'll use this to mount the speaker, and maybe buy a foam baffle to put behind it. Deaden the doors too. I'm gonna have someone professionally install it just because this way i'll have someone to go to if it doesn't work. I'll do the deadening myself to save on parts and labor.
that bracket should be fine, but if you are already going to have the panel off to deaden the doors you might as well mount the speakers and save a little money. its pretty easy to do. also wiring the car for an amp isnt that bad.

do you think one 10" or 12" sub will be enough bass to keep up with everything? I figure i'll do that myself too. I just don't wanna have to run wires and such
to be honest with you i have never been in a convertible with a substage so i cant give any advice hear, but i would think a 500 watt 12" should sound pretty good.

running the wires is kind of a *****, but its pretty cool to step back after your done and be able to say you did it all yourself. plus you save some money.

also, are you just using the factory speaker wire??
well you cant use the factory speaker wire if you are running an external amplifier. if you are using HU power then that would be fine.

i have completely ripped out the 460 system and have an eclipse deck in there now, but have yet to install the comps because i might be acquiring a new car (G35 coupe!). if i get a chance tomorrow ill test fit the tweets in the stock 460 sail panels and let you know how they fit.

What other equipment did you need to install the eclipse? Any harnesses or just the mounting kit from crutchfield or metra?

I'm gathering my stuff now. Possibly gonna follow your setup. Eclipse CD7000 HU, PGRSD65cs comps in front, maybe some memphis or PG coaxs in back. Front stage powered at 150W x 2 bridged memphis baby belle and the rear stage will be HU powered. Gonna throw in a single 200W RMS Memphis MSeries 12" sub in the back in a small sealed box that they make for trucks.

anything else i'm missing? i got the speaker wire and the amp install kit (4ga.) from knokonceptz and a 2 pairs of RCAs for the speaker/sub into the amp.

Just don't wanna get everything only to find out that i'm missing something

What other equipment did you need to install the eclipse? Any harnesses or just the mounting kit from crutchfield or metra?
I'm gathering my stuff now. Possibly gonna follow your setup. Eclipse CD7000 HU, PGRSD65cs comps in front, maybe some memphis or PG coaxs in back. Front stage powered at 150W x 2 bridged memphis baby belle and the rear stage will be HU powered. Gonna throw in a single 200W RMS Memphis MSeries 12" sub in the back in a small sealed box that they make for trucks.

anything else i'm missing? i got the speaker wire and the amp install kit (4ga.) from knokonceptz and a 2 pairs of RCAs for the speaker/sub into the amp.

Just don't wanna get everything only to find out that i'm missing something
yea, to install the deck all you'll need is the wiring harness and the dash kit.

your setup sounds good to me. you might want to look into building your own enclosure and go ported especially since you have a 'vert. you'll prob need all the output you can get from 200w. but like i said earlier i have no experience with substages and convertibles.

as far as installation equipment... it sounds like you have decided to install everything yourself. if thats the case then your going to need materials to construct baffles for the midbass and tweeters and deaden the doors. so you'll need to add some kind of sound deadner, scrap wood (mdf is fine for baffles), a few screws to secure the baffle to the door, clay or some material to seal the front of the baffle from the door. as for the tweeters i used an 8x10 piece of lexan or plexi (cant remember). other than that just make sure you have the right tools for the job and you should be good. make sure you TAKE YOUR TIME, especially if this is your first time. make sure everything is done correctly and double check everything.

i will post some pics of the plexi tweeter baffles i made soon, so you have an idea of the direction you'll need to be going in.

EDIT: i forgot your getting the 6.5" baffles off of ebay, but you'll still want to make sure you properly deaden the doors and what not

awesome
where'd you get yours from? (harness/dash kit)

Thanks soooo much for the help!
i actually got mine installed at sound advice because it was free with the purchase, but you might want to look at crutchfield.com. i heard they include a lot of information regarding HU installation, plus their customer service is great in case you have questions.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.