Manual or automatic processing?

Participant count
  • Participant list

cbrandonb

Hi all,

I have a 2012 Ford F150 with the Sony "upgrade". My climate is integrated, so I have to use the stock HU. I will have to take the outputs of the Sony system's amp and feed those to my sub and speaker amps.

I am not a perfectionist, but I do want good sound and I'm concerned about what the OEM system is going to hinder without processing it.

My question is this: should I manually or automatically process the OEM signal, or not even worry about it?

By automatic, I'm thinking JL Audio FiX 82. By manual, in thinking 360.3 and an RTA/just use my ears.

I have aa bachelors degree in Audio engineering, so I have a good understanding of most Audio concepts, so tweaking wouldn't be too bad, but part of me just wants a clean signal out of the JL and be done.

What do you guys think?

Brandon

If its of any help, I'm planning on ID CTX65 comps up front, coaxials in the back, and Pioneer or Soundstream Class D amps (1 four channel, one monoblock). I will have to sum the signals coming out of the fronts with my factory sub, but the rears should be fine and full range, as far as I can tell so far. Still trying to confirm exactly what's coming out of the Factory amp. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Brandon

Dude, I could not agree more! Didn't buy it new, though, and this is what I ended up with. So gotta make the most of it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks for the link to the JBL! I hadn't seen that one yet and will look more into it.

Brandon

Dude, I could not agree more! Didn't buy it new, though, and this is what I ended up with. So gotta make the most of it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Thanks for the link to the JBL! I hadn't seen that one yet and will look more into it.

Brandon

JL Audio will have a DSP that would be added after FiX-82. Getting an un-EQ'd and un-delayed cohesive 2 channels of output is very important in this factory system, but you would benefit greatly from a full DSP. Do you have the tools and knowledge to manually un-screw the Sony sound system?

Is that the TwK system you're referring to?

I was trying to find more info on that. Hopefully they'll have more info out soon. The MS-8 looks awesome and just about perfect, except it's discontinued. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif

The tools and knowledge to manually un-screw the Sony system are what I'm after. Don't have them at the moment, thus I'm asking questions and doing research. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I'm hoping to buy most of my system with my year end bonus, assuming it's big enough... heh... not sure how big or small it's going to be just yet. Probably not enough to buy everything I need, but a good chunk of it. We'll s

The thing I love about the JBL is the auto calibration and then tweaking until it's right. It's also awesome that it has a built in power amp (I would love to bi-amp the fronts and adjust the crossovers accordingly instead of doing the passive crossover or put the fronts on a larger 4 channel amp still bi-amped, but have the rears on the built in amps of the JBL). That's what I hate about the FiX 82... it only has two outputs. Perhaps the TwK will add a lot more functionality to it, but I doubt it would add up to the MS-8.

What would your approach be to this system, trumpet? Would you do two FiX 82s and then TwK? Or something else?

Edit: Forgot to mention, I have navigation and SYNC is why I'm concerned about retaining fading.

Brandon

Is that the TwK system you're referring to?
I was trying to find more info on that. Hopefully they'll have more info out soon. The MS-8 looks awesome and just about perfect, except it's discontinued. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif

The tools and knowledge to manually un-screw the Sony system are what I'm after. Don't have them at the moment, thus I'm asking questions and doing research. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I'm hoping to buy most of my system with my year end bonus, assuming it's big enough... heh... not sure how big or small it's going to be just yet. Probably not enough to buy everything I need, but a good chunk of it. We'll s

The thing I love about the JBL is the auto calibration and then tweaking until it's right. It's also awesome that it has a built in power amp (I would love to bi-amp the fronts and adjust the crossovers accordingly instead of doing the passive crossover or put the fronts on a larger 4 channel amp still bi-amped, but have the rears on the built in amps of the JBL). That's what I hate about the FiX 82... it only has two outputs. Perhaps the TwK will add a lot more functionality to it, but I doubt it would add up to the MS-8.

What would your approach be to this system, trumpet? Would you do two FiX 82s and then TwK? Or something else?

Edit: Forgot to mention, I have navigation and SYNC is why I'm concerned about retaining fading.

Brandon
Here's a video that gives a quick look at what goes into testing the outputs of a factory amplifier or radio. If this looks like a lot to handle I recommend letting a professional handle it. In the Nashville area I recommend Sonus in Clarksville.

MS-8 can do it but yes, sourcing it and getting replacement parts is a problem.

Fortunately my factory system is well documented and I won't need to chase signals down. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I already have color codes and pinouts ready.

Brandon

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

cbrandonb

cbrandonb
Nashville, TN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
cbrandonb