martian's 2001 buick build log

Great build mah man! Been learning a lot too.
Those Pyle tweets sound pretty good?
ha, thanks. This entire thing is all learning for me. I'm loving it.

The pyle tweets sound decent. They maintain good composure even when playing very loud, which is pretty much what I was looking for. The entire back deck exists just to get loud when I need to, and it definitely does that. I've been driving around campus blasting rammstein and metallica and i'm turning heads all over the place, lol.

alright ya jackwagons, quick update. I've actually been busting my six on this but i've been too lazy/busy to post updates.

IMG_1617.jpg

painted the MDF pieces that will sit on the bottom of the trunk, just to seal them up a little since MDF does not like to get wet.

IMG_1616.jpg

ran wires in their final locations.

IMG_1619.jpg

beefed up my molds in a big way.

IMG_1621.jpg

getting molds glassed into the car. At this point the "box" has 3 sides - front, back, and left side.

IMG_1622.jpg

the right side doesn't quite fit, i need to trim it a little, so it will hopefully go in tomorrow.

IMG_1625.jpg

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

hopefully more to come, I have thursday off from school so some good work should get done.

mannn i had the same exact car. ran good for a couple of years then crapped out on my. ran 2 15" L7's with a orion 2500D amp. cracked the lid on my trunk, lol. looking forward to the finish build.
thanks man, and don't worry this old girl's got at least another 200k or so left......i take real good care of her //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

IMG_1670.jpg

only good use i've ever found for scissor jacks. Using them to bend MDF. I've almost got a 3 sided box at this point, working hard to get this thing knocked off asap. more updates soon, I hope.

Build looks good. How will the ports fit in, since the baffle slants?
not easily, lol. Basically i made ( or should have made) the holes bigger than they needed to be so I could fit the port tubes in at an angle, then fill in the gaps with glass and PL.

more stuff done:

IMG_1676.jpg

inside top is done, i sealed that little hole you see in the picture today //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I hope you can understand why it's taking me so long to piece this thing together. I've done some pretty detailed volume estimations tho and after everything I should have 11.1 cubes net in the box, so figure after ports and drivers around 10 cubes, which was my goal. w00t!!

IMG_1674.jpg

mocking up the frame for the back

frame is in, and three top pieces as well.

IMG_1678.jpg

just need to fill in the spots where the trunk supports go and i'm good for the top!! And then on to fiberglassing and bracing the living crap out of everything, woohoo!!

also, i've determined that the batteries will not fit where I originally intended for them to go. Thus, they will sit on the left side of the trunk and all the amps and stuff will hopefully mount on the right side.

Lots of good weather in the near future here so stay tuned for more updates!! I hope to be bumping tunes by tuesday, altho i doubt i'll have the extra battery wired in yet.

showing my mad (lack of) glassing skills here:

IMG_1680.jpg

glassing the seems too:

IMG_1681.jpg

started working on the box over the spare tire well:

IMG_1682.jpg

realistically, i probably won't be bumping tunes until next sunday. There's just too much left to be done. Wiring, etc etc etc. Hopefully i'll at least have the box done by friday. Would be nice.

plenty of progress lately, hopefully something worth taking pictures of after tomorrow. I'm also having issues with my air leveling shocks in the rear, so if anybody knows anything about that stuff please PM me.

Good stuff. Will the fiberglass by itself be durable or pressed up against the trunk enough to not resonate, or will you further brace the entire enclosure? I have never really worked with glass so I am unfamiliar with how rigid it gets and how you could got about bracing it, threaded rods and bolts maybe? Eleven cubes also seems large to have a major portion of the enclosure made out of glass.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.