MB quart DSC2000

Would I recommend it? not really, would I do it? yup
Me too! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Pulled the trigger and bought one right after making this thread. Lol I've read plenty of threads that said it would do .5 on a good electrical. I think mine is pretty good. Could be better of course...but we will see how it does.

Your electrical is fine but the amp on the other hand may not like .5 too much. Although the discus series was better than the onyx they are still "budget" amps and you need to take caution when running below rated on these.

Your electrical is fine but the amp on the other hand may not like .5 too much. Although the discus series was better than the onyx they are still "budget" amps and you need to take caution when running below rated on these.
By "take caution", you mean slam on it full tilt right? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif

Finally put the Discus in and wired it to .5. Doesn't like it too well at certain freqs. According to my dmm voltage doesn't drop below 14v but its going into protect at higher volumes on some songs. Is it possible that I'm just not getting enough imp rise at certain frequencies for this to work? Have yet to install the alt, but like I said, I just tested voltage and never saw below 14v! Any ideas? Looks like switching subs is the only option. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

why do people always ask the same questions? .5 on any amp is safe if you know your box rise. if not. might as well take a lottory ticket and hope you are just as lucky.

worded the way @TaylorFade would have wanted me too :laugh:

[quote name='CAT MAN']why do people always ask the same questions? .5 on any amp is safe if you know your box rise. if not. might as well take a lottory ticket and hope you are just as lucky.

worded the way @TaylorFade would have wanted me too :laugh:[/QUOTE]
Impossible to know every frequency of every song and the rise of each frequency in a daily application.

I had another thought after posting this.. If it were protecting because of low impedance, wouldnt it do that even at low volume? My theory is that there is significant voltage drop, but its so rapid that it protects before it registers on my dmm.

Can someone tell me if an amp would protect for too low of a load even at low volume? I'm assuming it would. Need to figure out if its a voltage problem or what's going on.

Sell it and get a korean built amp like Sundown, AQ, Crescendo, or Shok.
The problem isnt the amplifier. Plenty of people have ran these @ .5 daily and some even lower. Im trying to troubleshoot the problem, not invest in another amp.

Well I have been running the DSC1500.1D for the last couple years and I personally wouldn't recommend it with this series of amps. They are great amps no doubt, but IIRC tommyk tested his at .5ohm and said that he wouldn't recommend it for daily use as well.

Well I have been running the DSC1500.1D for the last couple years and I personally wouldn't recommend it with this series of amps. They are great amps no doubt, but IIRC tommyk tested his at .5ohm and said that he wouldn't recommend it for daily use as well.
.5 is my only option at the moment so I'm giving it a try. Like I said, I researched before trying it and plenty of people had success with this amp @ .5.
One thing I did not account for is setting the gains for a .5ohm load. Using the DMM method, how do I figure what to set the gain to? I may have the amp set way too high.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

.5 is my only option at the moment so I'm giving it a try. Like I said, I researched before trying it and plenty of people had success with this amp @ .5.
One thing I did not account for is setting the gains for a .5ohm load. Using the DMM method, how do I figure what to set the gain to? I may have the amp set way too high.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.