Microphone sending no audio data over Bluetooth

Participant count
  • Participant list

palswim

USA
I just installed a Pioneer FH-X730BS unit, which advertises Bluetooth capability for streaming music as well as phone calls. It came with a corded microphone, which I've connected to the 2.5mm jack, but I'm waiting for a successful test before I choose where to permanently mount it.

I am trying to connect it to an Android phone which hasn't had any other problems I've noticed with Bluetooth. I can stream music from this device and the receiver will output sound to all speakers properly. However, the microphone/receiver does not seem to transmit data to the phone, and I am trying to understand the reason for this. Since I haven't mounted the microphone permanently, I have tried holding it to my face during tests and also keeping it at arm's length, but just receive silence in either case.

I test by initiating a Google Hangouts call. In Hangouts, I can switch between Bluetooth and the phone's built-in microphone, and when I switch to the phone's microphone, the call records sound immediately. Also, connecting a different Bluetooth device, a normal Bluetooth headset instead of the receiver, the call records sound fine, just as I would expect. I haven't tested with any different devices, and I haven't tested with a normal cellular call, since I don't actually have cellular service.

So, I am trying to determine if I have a defective stereo receiver unit, a defective microphone, or a defective understanding of the features that a Bluetooth receiver provides.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.