Midbass speaker wuestion

Participant count
  • Participant list

79elcamino

Brooklyn
I have image dynamics xs65 Speakers in my doors for Midbass. I am setting the gain,without a scope, I know that's the not the best way. Let's say I have the gains half way,there is no distortion, Midbass is hitting nice and sounds clear and awesome when sitting in the car but if u put ur ear to the speaker something doesn't sound right. I can't really describe the sound the speaker is making, I don't know if it's bottoming out or if it sounds like it's popping. If I lower the gain a little the "popping" noise goes away but the Midbass doesn't hit as hard or sound as deep and loud. I guess my question is if it's ok to leave the gain higher with that noise?

I have image dynamics xs65 Speakers in my doors for Midbass. I am setting the gain,without a scope, I know that's the not the best way. Let's say I have the gains half way,there is no distortion, Midbass is hitting nice and sounds clear and awesome when sitting in the car but if u put ur ear to the speaker something doesn't sound right. I can't really describe the sound the speaker is making, I don't know if it's bottoming out or if it sounds like it's popping. If I lower the gain a little the "popping" noise goes away but the Midbass doesn't hit as hard or sound as deep and loud. I guess my question is if it's ok to leave the gain higher with that noise?
It depends on the source of the noise. If it's coming from the speaker it's less than ideal to outright bad. If it's coming some part of the door very near the speaker it's fine, but you should address it. Remove the speaker from the door and play it with the gain at both settings. See if the noise is still there taking the door and the adapter (if it has one) out of the equation.

It depends on the source of the noise. If it's coming from the speaker it's less than ideal to outright bad. If it's coming some part of the door very near the speaker it's fine, but you should address it. Remove the speaker from the door and play it with the gain at both settings. See if the noise is still there taking the door and the adapter (if it has one) out of the equation.
Gotcha, thank you. What was throwing me off is that there is no distortion to the music.

it might be vibration. how much does it move when i pops?
Pop really isn't the best way to describe the sound I just can't think of a better way to describe it. You can't hear the sound unless ur ear is right next to the speaker and it doesn't happen at low volumes. It's only when I turn the volume up but there is no distortion to the music. I watched videos of speaker bottoming out and the noise doesn't sound like that.

Have you sealed any of your doors????You may be placing too much power to the speaker itself..creating distortion/bottoming them out/popping/ect. Id check your ohm load also..Youd be surprised what you can do with a preamp EQ to clean up/and fine tune your speakers at your finger-tips

Have you sealed any of your doors????You may be placing too much power to the speaker itself..creating distortion/bottoming them out/popping/ect. Id check your ohm load also..Youd be surprised what you can do with a preamp EQ to clean up/and fine tune your speakers at your finger-tips
Ohm load is good, the speakers are rated at 125rms each, I am giving them 150rms each, doors are sealed, speaker is mounted onto a custom door panel, I also have a eqx but everything is at 0dB, I didn't want to start messing with it until I was sure everything was ok with speakers, also the speakers only play down to 90hz and I believe as high as 500hz

sounds to me like distortion.
Could be the amp also, or wiring issues/lack of power/bad ground/the back of the speaker terminals touching/sparking on door metal even..so many things to go through by trial and error to rule out..It may take a while to locate the issue..I had a loose speaker terminal that took me a couple days to locate that was on the passangers door came loose due to road vibrations,and I didnt get it really tightend up good enough....lol

Let's say it is a rattle will it damage the speaker if I don't address it?
No, unless the rattle is coming from the speaker itself, indicative of a physical problem.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.