More electrical questions from a newb

Participant count
  • Participant list

Beat_Dominator
5,000+ posts

Yea, thats Mecha Godzilla
Hello, I am new but have been reading the forums for a little while now. Seems like a great site, everyone is fairly respectful (hard to find sometimes).

So for my questions:

I have a PPI PCX-480 amp that drives the 2 component sets in my Mustang. As I listen almost exclusively to rock they were decent in the bass department for about a year (I couldn't afford a sub anyway). But now I am hungry for more down low so I got the Diamond M6 that I had always wanted. To power the sub I went the budget rout as SQ from a sub amp isn't very important and I got an MA Audio HK800D.

My problem is that the manual for that amp ***** and says you need 0 AWG or larger but I figured out that it is referring to the HK3000D that the manual also covers. The 800D can only take 4 gauge. The manual also says the amp can draw in excess of 400amps! I figure that is also for the HK3000D?

I have a Stinger amp kit thats a few years old with a 150amp ANL Fuse. Is that overkill or dangerous? I was planning on wiring it to the battery along with the 8gauge from the PPI, but would it be smarter to just do the 4 gauge and have a distro-block feed 8 to the PPI and 4 to the MA?

Also I kinda worried myself about the power draw on the stock electrical system. My car has a 65-130amp alternator from factory. Should I just wait and see if I have dimming lights and stuff?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!!

You are correct on the assumption that the manual is reffering to the bigger amp.

I would run one run of 2awg (or four if you don't feel like spending the extra cash) to a distro and then from the distro to the two amps.

As far as dimming goes.. try it all and see. If you get some, then upgrade the Big 3 in your car. If its still bad invest in a better battery.. and if all else fails then go to an HO alt.

Let me know if you need anything else on that topic.

I'd also go with 2awg to a distro, then 4awg and 8awg accordingly. As far as electrical, if needed...look into replacing your stock battery with an Optima...and upgrading the Big 3. peace

NG

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.